N57/Longwood

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
It was a good trip. I took our out-of-town guests to New Garden and Longwood Gardens. The runway disappears easily for some reason. Perhaps it is because it is 50 feet wide, and nestled in between varieagated landscape. Nice easy approach, though, and even with a fully-loaded C182, very easy to stop within the first third of the 3700 foot runway. I could have made the first taxiway, but I had passengers on board, LOL!

I was blown away by Longwood Gardens. I have just got to go back--we only took in about 1/3rd of the thing in a 4-hour visit!

By the way, as a bit of an update, Hertz Rent-A-Car now also serves the airport.

Nice write-up, Ben! I went to Longwood some years ago, but by car. You should see it at Christmastime. :)

Glad you had a good trip to my old boyhood stomping grounds.

555Juliet said:
Nice write-up, Ben! I went to Longwood some years ago, but by car. You should see it at Christmastime. :)
What happens then?

By the way, have you had a chance to fly the TB-20 recently? I'm out of 60-day currency. It is just too hot to fly that plane in the summer.

Thank you, Gary and Mark, for your help. I always like to get the inside scoop on new airports, even if it costs me a one-star rating on my posts!

Glad you liked it Ben. It is really a neat place, but having been dragged there numerous times as a child, I just don't have the desire to go back. Like Mark, I grew up very close to Longwood.

Anthony said:
Glad you liked it Ben. It is really a neat place, but having been dragged there numerous times as a child, I just don't have the desire to go back. Like Mark, I grew up very close to Longwood.
I can understand that.

I live about 4 miles from longwood... have a season pass and walk there with my wife on Sunday mornings twice a month....

I used to love trips up there as a kid.
I thought the eye of water was so cool and I thought the fountain displays were great!

Not since the end of June. I'm coming up on my 60 days and hope to fly next week. Figures that with all the beautiful weather we've had, I've not had the time or $$$ to fly.

At Christmastime Longwood Gardens puts up a zillion decorated trees, plus poinsettias everywhere. They do the dancing fountains with holiday music.

555Juliet said:
Not since the end of June. I'm coming up on my 60 days and hope to fly next week. Figures that with all the beautiful weather we've had, I've not had the time or $$$ to fly.

At Christmastime Longwood Gardens puts up a zillion decorated trees, plus poinsettias everywhere. They do the dancing fountains with holiday music.
That sounds awesome.

I am waiting for my CFI to get the PA-32 or C206. If he doesn't get one by the end of next month, I will redo currency in the TB-20. I am going to fly with him next week for currency training (as I do every other month or so).

I still need to get the hang of that autopilot in the TB20--I want to use the full potential of the plane. I love the speed, the sexiness of the bird, etc., but the thing I love best are the easy landings--ahhh, so easy and gentle!

Back