N4187Q PA32 Down in Georgia

Flying Doc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingDoc
I read that he was a super nice guy with lots of experience and lost power. ATC was vectoring him away from a closed nearby airport, and he ran out of time. :(

Attachments

• IMG_2501.png
    IMG_2501.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
From just looking at Flightaware, he would have made the airport had they not vectored him, closed airport or not I would have unabled that vector if I could make the field.

From just looking at Flightaware, he would have made the airport had they not vectored him, closed airport or not I would have unabled that vector if I could make the field.
I wonder if he would have seen it, closed and lighs not working, and dark out? But at least maybe have a chance. Sucks. Not that the outcome would have neccesarily been different but I avoid flying at night, and when I do I always feel that its a big gamble. The risks we take.

The risks we take.
I really try hard to weigh my risks. The older I get, the more conservative I've become. I always think about it.
I've heard "I don't fly single engine planes (over mountains, water, at night, IFR, etc.etc.)". Sometimes I think, why fly single engine airplanes at all?

I've crossed Lake Michigan and Erie in the past. I've always been in flight for at least an hour before I cross. I ask, "At this moment, is there ANYTHING going on to make me think I MIGHT have any engine issues at all?" There's sometimes around a 10 minute segment of the over water portion that if the engine suddenly stops, I'm in the water. Am I taking a dangerous risk? I try to evaluate that all the time.

I do everything possible to reduce the risk of engine failure. Open wallet maintenance. Savvy Analysis. Oil analysis. I'm the only operator of the engine. This is the only plane I've ever owned (going on 30 years) and I feel like I know it inside and out. I participate heavily in the maintenance. I try to fly as much as possible for a minimum of an hour. Even on my training flights, my instructor understands and respects the engine operation. I have a long history of operating two engines successfully. I'm on my first ever factory engine and this is the one that concerns me the most. I'm trying to be conservative during the "infant" phase of the engine. I know it happens, but how often do engines fail suddenly with no warning?

I've been flying for 44 years and am in the sunset portion of my flying. I don't know how long I can go, but I'd like to make it to the end without doing something stupid and being a forum subject. I want the next owner to get a really nice plane.

This probably sounds kind of "stream of consciousness" but this is what this thread has made me think about. Thanks for listening.

I really try hard to weigh my risks. The older I get, the more conservative I've become. I always think about it.
I've heard "I don't fly single engine planes (over mountains, water, at night, IFR, etc.etc.)". Sometimes I think, why fly single engine airplanes at all?

I've crossed Lake Michigan and Erie in the past. I've always been in flight for at least an hour before I cross. I ask, "At this moment, is there ANYTHING going on to make me think I MIGHT have any engine issues at all?" There's sometimes around a 10 minute segment of the over water portion that if the engine suddenly stops, I'm in the water. Am I taking a dangerous risk? I try to evaluate that all the time.

I do everything possible to reduce the risk of engine failure. Open wallet maintenance. Savvy Analysis. Oil analysis. I'm the only operator of the engine. This is the only plane I've ever owned (going on 30 years) and I feel like I know it inside and out. I participate heavily in the maintenance. I try to fly as much as possible for a minimum of an hour. Even on my training flights, my instructor understands and respects the engine operation. I have a long history of operating two engines successfully. I'm on my first ever factory engine and this is the one that concerns me the most. I'm trying to be conservative during the "infant" phase of the engine. I know it happens, but how often do engines fail suddenly with no warning?

I've been flying for 44 years and am in the sunset portion of my flying. I don't know how long I can go, but I'd like to make it to the end without doing something stupid and being a forum subject. I want the next owner to get a really nice plane.

This probably sounds kind of "stream of consciousness" but this is what this thread has made me think about. Thanks for listening.

Your comments are spot on. When I first started reading your post I had to double check I didnt write it :). We fly over Lake Michigan and Erie. We added life jackets and a raft to at least ease our mind that we are prepared. Before going over water I do the same thing. Double check everything to look for anomalies. Anyhow....accidents are depressing but overall lets remember the positives....those sunsets while skimming the clouds, day trips to places many cant get to, learning new things (about airplanes), :)

I hope to one day be where you folks are at. Currently, I’m on the other end of the flying spectrum: 34 with 3 years under my belt. I’m probably more risk averse than the 18 year old, but not yet as wise and cautious as you all.

The one thing that I think pilots of all ages forget, from the student on their first solo to the guy who has 50 years in the air, is the PIC authority to state what you ARE going to do.

I hate having the Monday morning quarterback discussions on crashes, but to use the current example, that pilot could have told ATC, “Unless that field is closed because it’s a minefield, that’s where I’m landing.” Yes, you may have some explaining to do, but at least you’ll be there to explain it.

My grandfather gave up his cert at 86 due to inability to pass a medical. I hope I can come somewhere remotely close to that, but I know it won’t be because I was able to “barely make my minimums” or “take that leg further than I thought.” Careful planning, good ADM, and a healthy dose of common sense are what will continue to allow us all to keep enjoying the cloud surfing, expensive hamburgers, and this awesome community called aviation!

Remember, your PIC authority starts before you ever drive to the airport!

Lon, Thank you for sharing. One can only hope that your thoughts and devotion to flying is shared by many.
Take care and blue skies always.

I hope to one day be where you folks are at. Currently, I’m on the other end of the flying spectrum: 34 with 3 years under my belt. I’m probably more risk averse than the 18 year old, but not yet as wise and cautious as you all.

The one thing that I think pilots of all ages forget, from the student on their first solo to the guy who has 50 years in the air, is the PIC authority to state what you ARE going to do.

I hate having the Monday morning quarterback discussions on crashes, but to use the current example, that pilot could have told ATC, “Unless that field is closed because it’s a minefield, that’s where I’m landing.” Yes, you may have some explaining to do, but at least you’ll be there to explain it.

My grandfather gave up his cert at 86 due to inability to pass a medical. I hope I can come somewhere remotely close to that, but I know it won’t be because I was able to “barely make my minimums” or “take that leg further than I thought.” Careful planning, good ADM, and a healthy dose of common sense are what will continue to allow us all to keep enjoying the cloud surfing, expensive hamburgers, and this awesome community called aviation!

Remember, your PIC authority starts before you ever drive to the airport!

Its human nature to "Quarterback on Monday Morning". I think we can all raise our hand as guilty on this. Its less about the unfortunate soul/s but more about us as individuals trying to find reason, accept, and convince ourselves that we perhaps would have gotten out of that situation. I noticed in posts here we go through the same process as grieving. Denial...man that terrible cant believe it happend to him, id be different... to Acceptance: Lets not judge, bless their soul, could have been me.

Anyhow I dont know if id have turned to the airport....Remember it was dark, and you only have one chance to see it and land on it(without lights), hope to avoid trucks or other crap on the runway. It would have been same as pitch black forest next to it? Set up an approach to hope and follow a line to it? On the other hand, if youre looking at your glide range and its showing short of anywhere else...then gotta turn to the dark closed runway. But how much time do you really have to pontificate?

Back