N31 - Kutztown PA - where to park

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Where you do park at Kutztown when going to the diner? Looking at the attached, I presume the diner is on the left above the gliders,.. do you just taxiback to the end of RY 17 and park in the grass on the right?

I've also heard there is a $5.00 landing fee, who collects it and where?

Thanks! Looking to go there for a meal sometime soon. Any other info I should be aware of?

Attachments

• N31 Parking.JPG
    N31 Parking.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 24
Rob:

Don't know about the $5.00 parking fee, can't say I've ever paid it and no one has ever come looking.

You can indeed park on the grass just behind the cars at the north end of the field. If you want, you can also park on the asphalt in front of the FBO or down the line by the gliders.

No gotcha's at the airport, does have a good dip on the southern end that can take you by surprise, but nothing nasty.

Gary

Gary is correct.

You can park just outside the restaurant on the grass. Use caution though as you could unintentionally throw up some junk on cars parked behind you.

Sometimes you'll catch them doing parachuting ops off the intersecting grass runway and it's fun to watch. Check with the FBO and they'll let you walk down along the side of the main runway for a better view.

I've heard somewhere that "something" at Kutztown airport is shutting down. I'll look for the info unless someone else recollects and can put it here too. Have a good flight and watch the change in lift on short final as you overfly the quary, and the dip that Gary mentioned too.

Shane

good your getting there Rob it may not be open much longer from what I hear. You can also park north of the runway on the grass just off to the right of the dinner.

I worked there the past three summers. Most people park in the grass right next to the diner parking lot beyond the gliders. Just make sure you don't park too close to the Medivac helicopter, since there are no tiedowns by the diner.

The landing fee has become mostly voluntary. No one will chase you down to pay it, but there are signs that say to pay the landing fee in the FBO office. And they will waive it if you buy ANYTHING (fuel, chart, lapel pin, etc.). The airport needed all the revenue it could get, but I guess there wasn't enough to keep it open.

I think that all the flight school planes are grounded now, in preparation for the September 6 auction. That may also mean that the FBO office is closed, so there probably won't be anyone to pay the landing fee to.
________
herbalAire vaporizers

Last edited:
Well Rob I taxied up to the right and the hit me for $5 no big thing but what I heard if you stay to the left they don't walk over to get the $5 from you.

Yea Adam I heard about 3 years ago they were talking about using that space for dorms or condos I forget which.

Attachments

• N31%20Parkinga.JPG
    N31%20Parkinga.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm going to look at the rental schedule and see when I can get up there in the next week or two. I'll give you guys a call if I need someone right seat.

The FBO is auctioning everything off on Sept 6. There is a big ad in Trade a Plane or one of those publications. Looks like all the threats over the years to get rid of the place are finally coming to fruition. I recommend parking to the left, on the grass right beside the diner. Excellent food, IMO. I'll miss the place.

Jim G

Watch out for the meat bombs!

Back