N3 Pup daily driver?

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Hey guys,

Anyone have any experience in the N3 Pup?

I've seen a few of these guys going for the 5-9k range, 1.5-2GPH at 50kts, basic layout.

Figured maybe a stator and battery, basic panel and maybe some LEDs, maybe a light radio and single tiny glass display, would be great for my 8nm commute from my house to the airport where I work, also be great to run errands out of town, with some light tundras I could probably get it anywhere I needed, with the folding wings it would fit in my garage at home and easily in my hangar at the airport.. and it would beat my trucks 19mpg.

Thoughts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preceptor_N3_Pup

LarryLorenz2.jpg

6c5d5cd1a0b9fa11ed82daf5fc672680.jpg

I don't have an N3 as such, but I have a Carlson SS, which is similar in some respects. I think the biggest lesson is that you want a lightweight version. Otherwise you aren't hitting your gph target. My Carlson is a bit heavy - 525 lbs - and I burn 3.4gph with HKS-700E, which is more efficient than 1/2 WV for the same output. The second biggest lesson is that wind is a real problem at these cruise speeds. Of course if you only fly 8 nm, you'll make it there eventually. I have 12 gallons in 3 tanks and I had trouble making 110 nm segment once.

I don't have an N3 as such, but I have a Carlson SS, which is similar in some respects. I think the biggest lesson is that you want a lightweight version. Otherwise you aren't hitting your gph target. My Carlson is a bit heavy - 525 lbs - and I burn 3.4gph with HKS-700E, which is more efficient than 1/2 WV for the same output. The second biggest lesson is that wind is a real problem at these cruise speeds. Of course if you only fly 8 nm, you'll make it there eventually. I have 12 gallons in 3 tanks and I had trouble making 110 nm segment once.

My Avenger with a 1/2 vw weighs wet with pilot 600lbs. I burn around 1.5 GPH. Cruise speed of 70 mph. Not sure how you can claim the HKS is more efficient. I myself don't see it.

2500?!

Was it airworthy?

Think something like that is obviously worth a good chunk over 2500

We had to do a little work to it. Maintenance issues. It was flown a couple days after I purchased it. But the new owner is doing a few more things to it. Like installing in flight mixture control. Little things like this. I am so happy for my buddy. he contacted me last winter saying he wanted something with a four stroke. When this airplane found me, I did not go looking for this, it came to me, I contacted my buddy and told him I had his four stroke airplane in my hangar. He was so happy and I was very happy for him. He deserves this. He helps everyone in this area with their HB. He does first flights for people who want the help. Makes me smile thinking about him flying this. If you watch any of my Video's my buddy is the one doing all the flying and I am the one filming. The least I could do for this man. What a good friend.

Tony

Good stuff man!

James331 I like how your airplane matches your hangar.

James331 I see no shock rings for the landing gear. I believe this to me an early model of the Pup. I believe later they installed shock rings. The one I had and one other we had here both had shock rings for the landing gear.

Tony

There is a man in Pekin Illinois who flew in to see me lsat year. He is looking at starting this line of airplanes back up. Not sure how that is going but he said he was very close to having this going again.

I don't think it would make a good daily driver. I have not flow one but it is lighter than my Kolb which is no fun in any kind of wind.

Back