N271G is out

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Ack!!!

Just got word from the shop that the bird is not gonna be ready to go for the weekend. :( :( :(

Figuring out plan B. I'll need to move some reservations, but most likely I'll be there in either Archer N8483F.

Ugh. I'm not looking forward to sitting in an Archer for that long. :no: :(

heh. Better hope these winds blow out. I'll be sitting in a Diamond for a long time tomorrow dealing with 50 knot headwinds and thunderstorms.

Anyone having to divert or just plain getting stuck in the Chicago area let me know. I can try to help. especially if you are near 3CK, 10C, C81, or KPWK. That is until Friday, I am out of town as of noon.

Last edited:
Ack!!!

Just got word from the shop that the bird is not gonna be ready to go for the weekend. :( :( :(

Figuring out plan B. I'll need to move some reservations, but most likely I'll be there in either Archer N8483F.

Ugh. I'm not looking forward to sitting in an Archer for that long. :no: :(

**COUGH* buy your own **COUGH**

I have a seat leaving in the morning.

Need two. And if you put us in with all your stuff you will be so far over gross... Plus I don't want to carry things in my lap. :rofl:

**COUGH* buy your own **COUGH**

Yeah. Believe me, I've been thinking about it hard! I think it's gonna be another 2 years or so before I'll really be ready though. But yesterday I sure was wishing I'd picked up that $68K Twinkie I saw in NC a while back. Sure was a nice bird...

Hmmm...

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_view.jsp?aircraft_id=106603

Drool. :)

Need two. And if you put us in with all your stuff you will be so far over gross... Plus I don't want to carry things in my lap. :rofl:

Yeah. Believe me, I've been thinking about it hard! I think it's gonna be another 2 years or so before I'll really be ready though. But yesterday I sure was wishing I'd picked up that $68K Twinkie I saw in NC a while back. Sure was a nice bird...

Hmmm...

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_view.jsp?aircraft_id=106603

Drool. :)

I didn't think Mike could go over gross. If you can close the door once you climb on top of the pile of cables you should be good to go. :D

I didn't think Mike could go over gross. If you can close the door once you climb on top of the pile of cables you should be good to go. :D

Right. It's on the hat. "If it fits, it files."

I could handle two passengers, Kent. I would just fuel to the tabs.

I'm working now on cutting out one or two bags.

Heck, I toyed with the idea of getting another plane (a DA-40, perhaps) and having two planes out of 1C5. Cant afford it, though! Actually, couldn't afford it when there was only one seat taken. If you need two seats, one per plane, it might work! Don't know if there's one available. Plus the winds don't look that great for tomorrow morning, either. Direct XWind 15G22 through the TAF period.

mike - i thought you were leaving at 11??

+$60K in the next two years for engines.

$60K? These are only IO-320's...

Vref says $18K apiece for the engines.

Either way, the plane's cheap enough that new engines, P&I will put it just about in the right price range anyway. Over the last several years that I've been watching Twinkies for sale, it seems that I should be able to get one equipped how I want it with nice P&I and mid-to-low time engines for $120K.

I actually found one for sale for $20K! Crap panel, crap P&I, needs engines, but I bet I could get new engines, P&I, and yank the panel and put in a G600 for under $120K! I did send a note to the seller asking what the catch was...

My big concern is just all of the freakin' maintenance bucks these old planes take. Ugh. :eek:

Yeah, that's for just the powerplant. Add in the accessories, hoses, engine mounts, exhaust and all the other stuff that goes along with the engines, and you'll be up there in no time.
$30k is not too far from the truth. A friend just redid his 0320 year before last and the total cost was $22k. That was for a rebuild at Poplar Grove, and all the new stuff that Ken just mentioned. I would budget $30 each just to be on the safe side.

Back