N22RL is back -- with a new panel!

To add to what others have said... MSN TRACON uses 04xx for local VFR flights and 03xx for local IFR. Local meaning they're not planning on handing you off to anyone else. So, I always know when I'm going somewhere VFR that if I'm told to "squawk 04xx" by Clearance Delivery that when I get 30 or so miles out I'll be hearing "radar service terminated, frequency change approved" whereas if I get something like 6532 I'll be getting a handoff to Chicago Center. (MKE TRACON does not accept VFR handoffs. ever. :mad: I think they hang out with Chicago Approach on weekends...)

For some reason if I request flight following "with hand offs" I seem to always get handed off. Otherwise I usually just get canceled at the edge of their sector.

Interior rework is down on the list behind the PowerFlow exhaust, new prop (MT or Sensenich -- haven't decided), and the S-Tec 30 autopilot (ran out of cash on this go-round, but they plumbed the plane for it -- note the extra button holes on the yoke switch mount and the little square plug over the flight instruments), but ahead of paint. Figure sometime late in 2008 for all the stuff to be done.

Ron,

Looks great. I just read an article in a magazine (forget which one) that indicated the MT prop for a Lycoming IO360 was 30 pounds lighter than the standard metal prop it replaced.

Len

I have gotten them before. Not all that rare. The ones that begin with an 8 are pretty rare though. Don't think I have ever gotten one of those ;)

Those are the ones that you have to use to get into the ORD bravo VFR. :rofl:

I got a handoff to and from them, VFR when I went up to 6Y9. It was the north sector, never tried the south because that is C90 and I figured I would not get anything from them anyways.

Who'd you get handed off to and from? Maybe they just don't accept 'em from MSN. That wouldn't surprise me, as MSN gives flight following to anyone who asks, no matter how bad the call is. MKE is the only class C I've ever heard that routinely instructs planes to "remain clear of class Charlie". 2+2=4, I bet they got tired of students calling 'em up on a handoff from MSN and just stopped taking handoffs from MSN or something. :dunno:

For some reason if I request flight following "with hand offs" I seem to always get handed off. Otherwise I usually just get canceled at the edge of their sector.

It seems to go either way no matter what for me. The squawk code I get tells me whether MSN will hand me off or not, but from there, who knows.

My first real (ie post-ppl) long cross country was from MSN to LEX. I took great pains to ensure I'd get FF the whole way down, even having the FSS briefer enter my flight plan into the center computers (like an IFR plan) as well. I got dropped by Chicago Center, I got dropped again by Indy Approach, again by Louisville approach. (Not truly "dropped" but "squawk VFR and contact xxx for further flight following.")

On the way back, I didn't do jack. I didn't even ask Lexington Clearance for flight following. I got handed off the entire way back to MSN. :dunno:

Who'd you get handed off to and from?
I can't remember if it was center or GB but I remember being handed off. The reason I remember is after I established contact with MKE they then gave me a second squawk. The first being a local one. So the HO was probably to center.

MKE is the only class C I've ever heard that routinely instructs planes to "remain clear of class Charlie"

That is true but when we fly Coast Guard Aux missions up and down the lake front they are very accommodating. A couple of times they have asked us to change altitudes to help them out or even a course change to over fly the field but never have they told us to fly under their airspace like Chicago does.

I can't remember if it was center or GB but I remember being handed off. The reason I remember is after I established contact with MKE they then gave me a second squawk. The first being a local one. So the HO was probably to center.

GRB won't hand you off directly to MKE - You'll talk to Chicago Center in between. Which leads me to believe that my theory may be correct.

That's my understanding. In fact, the chip they burn for the specific aircraft (including all the engine limitations -- you may note the 1850-2250 yellow arc on the tach for my McCauley prop) was the delaying factor in getting the plane. Everything was ready except the final chip, and it got caught in STL during the big snow a couple of weeks ago, so I had to leave town by car for a 2-week PIC gig and wait until I got home this week to pick it up.

Will you need to burn a new chip then when you change props?

Back