N12 Lakewood NJ to Vermont?

marcoseddi

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
marc
Me and a friend of mine are looking to go to Vermont for the day do some hiking, or just do something and then come back that night. Possible even stay a night as well. Any good ideas, any specific things? Be nice to have a rent a car close to the airport or some sort of way of getting to, something to do.. Im a low time pilot, and I did a couple sky vector plans to rutland and others its basically right into Class B New York Airspace, I know coming right off the shore about to head over the Verazzano you have to get in touch with NY , anyone know the exact first New York frequency you call, I know they will swap you many times as well but looking for the initial?Thanks guys
Im sure ill get some good ideas.

Pick up flight following in NJ and they will usually hand you over to New York ,be ready for several freq changes in the class B

I'd try McGuire App/Dep 124.15 (from the A/FD) first.

If no luck, NY App 125.7 (from the Sectional/TAC charts).

I'll be flying the opposite direction (from KFRG) in a few days:)

Me and a friend of mine are looking to go to Vermont for the day do some hiking, or just do something and then come back that night. Possible even stay a night as well. Any good ideas, any specific things? Be nice to have a rent a car close to the airport or some sort of way of getting to, something to do..
This might be further north than you were planning to go, but FYI Enterprise Barre will pick you up at KMPV. Hiking here is truly magnificent. If you want a challenging but rewarding day hike, I can recommend the Burrows Trail up Camel's Hump. The trailhead is off Camel's Hump Road east of Huntington Junction. Be forewarned: it's steep, rocky, and wet. But the view from the top is awesome.

I'd try McGuire App/Dep 124.15 (from the A/FD) first.

If no luck, NY App 125.7 (from the Sectional/TAC charts).

I'll be flying the opposite direction (from KFRG) in a few days:)

I've picked up McGuire from Lakewood a few times heading north and they took care of the handoff to NY.. Was seamless.

I've picked up McGuire from Lakewood a few times heading north and they took care of the handoff to NY.. Was seamless.

That's what I figured.
My experience with them is also seamless while traversing the area.

Speaking of Vermont, I was telling my wife not too long ago, that I'd like to take a flight up to Burlington. Which would be a first for me.

Last edited:
This might be further north than you were planning to go, but FYI Enterprise Barre will pick you up at KMPV. Hiking here is truly magnificent. If you want a challenging but rewarding day hike, I can recommend the Burrows Trail up Camel's Hump. The trailhead is off Camel's Hump Road east of Huntington Junction. Be forewarned: it's steep, rocky, and wet. But the view from the top is awesome.

I didnt have much plans yet I figured around 2 hours there and 2 hours back or so, this is slight more not bad. I looked it up it looks like from that airport to that park its probably about an hour away or so by car.. I may want to find something closer as we are trying to do it in one day.. Any other good suggestions of good hiking close to an airport?

I didnt have much plans yet I figured around 2 hours there and 2 hours back or so, this is slight more not bad. I looked it up it looks like from that airport to that park its probably about an hour away or so by car.. I may want to find something closer as we are trying to do it in one day.. Any other good suggestions of good hiking close to an airport?
If you are night current you should be able to do it. The hike is about 3.5-4 hours round trip if you're in good shape. Alternatively, closer to KMPV there are two places that I know of:

1. The Shaw Outdoor Center in Northfield has some trails that go up an abandoned ski hill. They have several difficulty grades (the red trail is the steepest) and the trails are generally nice and well marked with lots of scenic views. It's a relatively easy couple hours hike. Max climb about 1000 feet.

2. There is a trailhead for a climb up Paine Mt. off of Barrows Road along Route 64 SE of Northfield. It's not a tall peak (2411 ft) and the net climb can't be more than about 1100 feet. I've not yet done that one though.

Back