N-numbers without alphas

I took my IR checkride in a 172 N97000. Most of the time ATC calls were for 97 thousand, or triple zero. Talk about a mouth full try "approach zero zero zero..." Never did get use to that...:yes:

Didn't someone on POA once reserve November Niner Niner Niner November November?

My number is N7155H but since it is a Cub without a radio, I don't have any issues with it. :)

My Swift is N3368K. It is an easy to remember and say.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift

I have a few hours on Arrow N456RR, that seemed very confusing to ATC as well.
I also got to say 456RR with Juliet to KDAB once :)

I've always hated callsigns with more than one 0. One of the planes I fly for work is N**00Y and I've never found it to roll off the tongue very nicely.

One of the planes I fly for work is N**00Y and I've never found it to roll off the tongue very nicely.
Hey, I used to rent one of those. Nice Warrior, unfortunately it got wrecked in the late '90s.

Flying-1990s-03143.jpg

Hey, I used to rent one of those. Nice Warrior, unfortunately it got wrecked in the late '90s.

Flying-1990s-03143.jpg

Heh...The airplane I mentioned is a 182 with the numbers 2800Y. Not too far off from the warrior you used to rent.

My old 1940 Tayorcraft is N24433. I assume when they got up to N99999 that they had to start putting a letter at the end? I'd further guess that as the older airplanes are lost, wrecked or scrapped the numbers without a letter at the end become available for re-assignment?

They didn't just start at 1, work their way up, and then start with the letters. Lots of old Cubs from the 40's end with H. I think blocks were assigned to the manufacturers.

Also, when your T-cart was new, it would have been NC24433.

I've flown a Romeo Romeo - Ed Guthrie's Mooney - And it was the hardest N number to say quickly that I've ever flown! "Romeo" makes your mouth and tongue make a lot of motions that don't flow well together when you have to do it twice.

I have also spoken to a 310 pilot that was RR. He said that it's fun when the ATIS is J - "Romeo Romeo with Juliet" - But the best is exiting a runway onto taxiway J - "Ground, Romeo Romeo ON Juliet!" :rofl:

A friend of mine flies a Lear for a farmer in Minnesota and sometimes lands at MSN. It's N345FF. He says it's rather annoying.

A friend of mine flies a Lear for a farmer in Minnesota and sometimes lands at MSN. It's N345FF. He says it's rather annoying.

Heck, I don't like ONE Foxtrot. I'll call 8483Foxtrot on an initial, but after that it's just 83Fox.

TWO Foxtrots? I'd demand extra pay. :rofl:

Back