N/a

I usually find that a Fruit Loops crumb or other such is responsible for a single stuck key. Inverted flight through turbulence usually solves the problem.

But I suspect you tried that one already.

Richard said:
Myspacebar isstuck.Apartfrom disassyemblyof my keyboard howto unsticka single key?

That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. At first I didn't understand the jumbled letters, but when I figured it out I got a good chuckle. Dunno how to fix the problem, good luck.

Rubbing alcohol?? You should be able to pry up single keys...

AirBaker said:
Rubbing alcohol?? You should be able to pry up single keys...
Why would anyone rub alcohol? I prefer to drink it myself but...

Anyway...

If you've got time, run it through a dishwasher, no soap, and let it dry for three days or so. If not, run it through a dishwasher, dry it with a hair dryer and pray when you plug it back in. :D

It's a Dell QuietKey. I can't access the pressure pads fromthefront. Inthepast Ihave simply removed theback for a complete disassy andcleaning. Toomuchbotherfor a singlestuck key. I'm pounding on thespacebar justto getthis muchout.

Inverted in turb....Ilikethat.

I don't know why didn't think of this earlier, BLOW-OFF compressed air. Now I can make up for those missing spaces.:goofy:

Pull the spacebar off. Be careful of the metal bar if it's got one and watch how it's mounted under the plastic brackets. Clean all the gunk out. Test the actual button for being stuck or not moving easily. A small amount of water or windex will usually clean the button itself and the other support points as needed unless it's really bad. Put space bar back on. Turn computer on and test.

If it's really bad, flip it over and take the screws out and disassemble the whole thing. It's really not that hard or complicated at all. (your warranty is toast at that point if you really care about that kind of thing) A lot of the newer keyboards have a large rubber mat (usually clear) with the contactors instead of actual button switches. After you pour half a gallon of tea or pop into the keyboard, the rubber mat tends to get stuck to everything it touches and has problems. Wash all non electronic parts in sink with water only (windex on bad button gunk or on the IC trace sheet if necessary) and don't let the buttons go down the drain, dry in front of fan until dry. Reassemble. Done. Usually 30 minutes.

BTDT many times.

A concetrated blast of air under the offending key may help if the key is physically stuck down. If the key is up but acting as if down, you probably have spilled some slightly conductive liquid in there. The cure for that is a mild solvent. It used to be that spray Freon would be the cure, but it's not exactly environmentally friendly (or available). Flux remover often works pretty well. TV tuner cleaner would probably also do the trick.

Many keyboards can be disassembled simply by prying up on a key, but some can be broken this way YRMV.

fgcason said:
Pull the spacebar off. Be careful of the metal bar if it's got one and watch how it's mounted under the plastic brackets. Clean all the gunk out. Test the actual button for being stuck or not moving easily. A small amount of water or windex will usually clean the button itself and the other support points as needed unless it's really bad. Put space bar back on. Turn computer on and test.

If it's really bad, flip it over and take the screws out and disassemble the whole thing. It's really not that hard or complicated at all. (your warranty is toast at that point if you really care about that kind of thing) A lot of the newer keyboards have a large rubber mat (usually clear) with the contactors instead of actual button switches. After you pour half a gallon of tea or pop into the keyboard, the rubber mat tends to get stuck to everything it touches and has problems. Wash all non electronic parts in sink with water only (windex on bad button gunk or on the IC trace sheet if necessary) and don't let the buttons go down the drain, dry in front of fan until dry. Reassemble. Done. Usually 30 minutes.

BTDT many times.
Thanks, Frank. I've had ths machine apart so many times I forgot all about a warranty a long time ago. The problem started when I cleaned my office a couple days ago. That was when I vacuumed the keyboard. The coffee and fruit loops were long gone by then.

Keyboards are cheap enough these days that if the presurized air and/or a little alcohol did not do the trick I would buy a new one.

Scott

My secret has always been to turn the keyboard over, and smack the back a few times. Then I vacuum up the 10 lbs of toast crumbs that come spilling out.

It usually works.

This is why you put your food to the SIDE of the computer and eat over the desk, not the keyboard. ;)

If you like, I can post my detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to disassemble, clean and reassemble a keyboard. However, I've heard more and more about the soap-free dishwasher trick and may try it myself some day... :)

Does anyone recall the official IBM document procedures for cleaning the mouse ball that circulated a number of years ago? Rather funny... taking my own advice I would hop right over to google at this point but I'm feeling quite lazy this morning ... "feed me! feed me!"

Back