n/a write in votes n/a

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
I had the strangest question occur to me in the middle of the night last night when I couldn't sleep:

If there's an election, and let's say William Smith is waging a write in campaign, and he actually wins, what do they do if there happen to be 5 more William Smiths in the community? Since he didn't file any paperwork, wouldn't any of the other William Smiths have just as much claim to the office?

Do you think this has ever happened before?

mattaxelrod said:
I had the strangest question occur to me in the middle of the night last night when I couldn't sleep:

If there's an election, and let's say William Smith is waging a write in campaign, and he actually wins, what do they do if there happen to be 5 more William Smiths in the community? Since he didn't file any paperwork, wouldn't any of the other William Smiths have just as much claim to the office?

Do you think this has ever happened before?

Write ins don't win. Its just a feel good part of elections so that people can vote for whomever they want.

Vote: None of the above!

I won a write in campaign. Each election district is different so you need to check your election laws. For Illinois for a write candidate to win you have to register as a write candidate. What that meant was I had to file a form with each county I was running. Since my office is a district that overlaps two counties I had to do this. I had to do it in person and have all the forms filled out correctly. There were several laws I had to read up on to find out what the forms were and how to fill them out.

Then the only votes that counted were the ones that were filled out exactly as I filled. No mispelling, no adding a middle initial if there was not one on the form, etc.

The whole process is pretty difficult to deal with and one reason why write-ins are pretty rare. Even with my election one of the other write-in candidates got more votes but his votes were thrown out because he only filled in one county. He would have beat me by two votes.

The whole process does favor the parties.

I once won an election on write in votes. In law school I used to vote by absentee ballot and there were a few minor political positons that no one was running for so I filled in my name and my friends names. We won go figure. I think it later got voided but what the heck.

Other than that Matt stay away from the Maneschewitz

AdamZ said:
I once won an election on write in votes. In law school I used to vote by absentee ballot and there were a few minor political positons that no one was running for so I filled in my name and my friends names. We won go figure. I think it later got voided but what the heck.

Other than that Matt stay away from the Maneschewitz

LOL!

You WISH your temple had kiddushes like mine! :wineglass:

Back