N/A Wounded Warrior Project and Viet Vets N/A

retpd2001

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
retpd2001
Talking to a friend yesterday who's brother was killed in Viet Nam. A customer of hers told her the WWP does not help Viet Vets in any way. She was shocked and called them and they confirmed they do not. She stopped donating to them. I was very surprised also.

Our non-profit used to do work with WWP. We gave up. They're not the easiest people to deal with and they are one of the "high overhead" organizations when it comes to using your money. Hopefully that will get better since they canned a couple of their top people a year ago, but I'm skeptical.

I donated to WWP a couple of times. After I got some expensive (but worthless) crap in the mail begging for more money, I wrote them a letter asking them nicely not to waste the money I gave them sending me crap to beg for more money. I told them I'd donate more if they stopped, but if not I wouldn't send more money to be wasted. Several years later I'm still getting expensive crap in the mail from them begging for more money.

Sadly enough, I've had the exact same experience with CAF. This is why when I do donate money to places, I do it anonymously and with cash. I hate these places spending 10 times what I donate to hire people to pester me for more. Between CAF and WWP I suspect they have spent 2-3 times what I donated just on trying to get me to give them more.

There are better charities to support. I stopped giving to WWP several years ago.

In June 2015, the Daily Beast reported that the WWP sells its donor information to third parties. It also alleged that WWP distributed what it deemed an insubstantial percentage of donations to actual wounded warriors, and that it overpaid its executive staff.[31]

In January 2016,
The New York Times reported that only 60 percent of the revenue of the Wounded Warrior Project is spent on programs to help veterans; the remaining 40 percent was overhead. It also reported claims of work environment of coercion, and multiple terminations.[32] That same month, CBS News disclosed that the WWP had grown to spend millions of dollars annually on team-building events.[33]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Warrior_Project

Still get a lot of crap in the mail from them. I haven't sent them anything for a long time now.

I have given to many many charities over the years. I have also stopped giving to many many of them. WWP is one.

Hopefully the change of management ,will make it a true charity,worthy of donations.

The #1 and #2 at WWP were canned in 2016, so we'll have to see if they improve. They're on my "be wary of" list now.

Back