N/A Wireless Network

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
A continuation really of my other thread.
My modem/router now is a "2wire" brand name. The only way it will work properly for my sons game is to have it in "b" mode only for the wireless so changing that isn't an option.
For whatever reason, my other routers as the "primary" one don't want to play with my ISP nice, so I am kind of stuck with theirs.

Transmitting in B only it dogs my computer in my office now. Excellent signal strength but only at 11 Mbps.
Now the question part:
Can I put a Linksys G router into the network closer to my office now hardwired to the 2 wire to boost the output to G mode? By doing that, can I somehow identify THAT signal vs. the 2 wire so my son still gets the 2 wire signal in the b mode, but I can get the G signal from the Linksys on my other PC's?

Thanks

Mark B

I once connected a B-router's WAN connection to one of the LAN connections on a G-router. Different SSIDs, channels, and IP address sets (i.e. one was 192.168.1.* and the other was 192.168.2.*). From the G-router's perspective the B-router was just another DHCP client. From the B-router's perspective the G-router is the gateway to the internet.

You can run two wireless links. be sure to set the 2nd one up on a different channel with a different SSID and please do nto forget about security so it is not wide open to the public.

I once connected a B-router's WAN connection to one of the LAN connections on a G-router. Different SSIDs, channels, and IP address sets (i.e. one was 192.168.1.* and the other was 192.168.2.*). From the G-router's perspective the B-router was just another DHCP client. From the B-router's perspective the G-router is the gateway to the internet.

If you connect the WAN port on the inside box to the outside box, the clients on the outside will be firewalled from the inside network. Connect one "inside" LAN port to one on the outside router LAN port. This uses the second box as a switch.

DHCP will work. (Disable DHCP on the inside router) You'll end with all clients on the same IP subnet.

If you are gaming, you want to enable port forwarding on the router.
This will require the assignment of specific IP address to the gaming computer.

Of course it is a PITA to try and network across routers if you want to file transfer /print share between computers

Thanks for the help.

Will give it a try over the holiday.

Mark B

Back