N/A What is your favorite brand of kitchen knife?

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
A few years ago I bought my first nice kitchen knife, a Wusthof Santoku, and am ready to add to my collection. I have been very impressed with the edge holding ability of the Wusthof knife, but I don't really have anything to compare it with except my other cheap knives. For my next knife I would like to get an 8" chefs knife. What are your recomendations?

Henckells. But I am on the waiting list for a customer Kramer. His regular brand is awesome as well. I have one of his Shun production knives and they are incredible as well

http://www.surlatable.com/product/P...s;jsessionid=CE8F097381A81E352C2CAD5750719F92

If I was buying a new set of production knives I would go with the ones above instead of the Henckels. Mostly because the control and balance is much better.

I like my Cutco. Butcher's knife goes right through frozen chicken.

Wusthof....... we have the paring, wide chefs knife, bread knife, and the scissors.

I love the scissors. The knives are nice, hold an edge, and have held up to the abuse.

I use Wusthof. But don't count out the restaurant supply knives at some place like a Sam's Club or a Costco. They will hold an edge very well and don't cost much at all - one of my better purchases.

I like Henckells as well. I got an entire set for my birthday this year. Was so happy to get rid of the cusineart never sharpen POS set I got over 20 years ago for my wedding.I do have 2 cutco knives that are great as well.

Scott, those are some nice looking knives! Maybe just a bit more than I want to spend, but then again I realize the premium price for a premium tools is usually worth it.

What about ceramic knives? Do theyreally hold an edge as long as they claim? What about breakeage?

We bought a set of Henckels 20 years ago on our first anniversary. We still use them every day and they are as good as new. A few swipes with the sharpening steel and they cut just as good as ever. We have a few Cutco knives that we bought from a friends kid that was trying to start a career in sales. They are ok, but when they are side-by-side, I always reach for the Henckels.

Just be aware that there are several grades of Henckels.

Scott, those are some nice looking knives! Maybe just a bit more than I want to spend, but then again I realize the premium price for a premium tools is usually worth it.
They are very pricey but feel oh so good.

The custom knives are out of this world. Read about them here. http://www.kramerknives.com/home.htm

Like I said I am on the list, but it could be two or three years before I get a chance to purchase.

Henckels spend the change. If you're not going to spend it, get the RONCO (Yep the "set it and forget it "guy) from Wal-Mart and save up until you can. I bought my set of Henckels piece by piece.. Was about 70 buck per knife average IIRC.

Last edited:
Forschner/Victrinox. Swiss made, great steel, very good value.

What about ceramic knives? Do theyreally hold an edge as long as they claim? What about breakeage?

I don't know about ones today. I was on a yacht a few years ago when they became popular and we got a set, I forget which brand the chef got, but they were expensive and all broken in a few months. Don't know if the environment or the chef was too abusive on them, but they did not last. I used em a couple of times and didn't see the value over a Wustof or Henckles. BTW, Both those manufacturers make multiple lines and grades, some made in China. Some are great, and some are basically K-Mart quality, so watch yourself.

I've got Wustof but the version in the middle. Not the low end, not the top of the line. The large santuko - the middle line, the small (5 in) santuko is the 1 little man version. The other 3 pieces are also the middle line.

If I see a nick or something, the knife goes to the guy who specializes sharpening the cutlery at the high-end restaurants in town - the only guy the chefs will use. Takes a month after I drop it off, he's so busy.

I have a couple of Henckels, a couple Victorinox and two short Mora (KJ Ericksson) knives.

Last edited:
Forschner/Victrinox. Swiss made, great steel, very good value.

We like those, too. Affordable, great weight & balance (keeping it aviation related), takes and keeps an edge. Recommended knife per American Test Kitchen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back