[N/A] Vinyl - LP's, 45's, 78's [N/A]

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I thought I'd take a chance and see if any of you folks are into old records. My parents just brought five boxes of 45's, 78's, LP's, and 8 track tapes to me. I was planning on putting them on eBay for my folks, but I'm overwhelmed at the number of titles. I doubt that there are any real valuable records, but there are some unusual ones that might have value - who knows?

So, my question is.... where's the best place to find out the value of some of these old albums? Any thoughts?

Chip;

Old records are very hard to put value for it really depends very much on the how we say "It is in the Eye or in this case the Ear of the Beholder". My wife's father was a song writer in the mid to late 1940's with over 100 titles. We have are always amazed that some of his "Stuff" is still being played according to ASCAP.

Some records do have a high value if they are a "Master Recording" or a "Pre release" for radio stations or "Demos" Interesting as we have done a lot of research on performers who have sang my wifes' fathers songs they vary all over the place.

It is sort of a "roll of the dice" in many cases;

Now if you have a 1930's Muddy Waters 78 hanging around Let me know

Ebay is a good place to begin researching the "Value" of what is out there. It is sort of the place to see what the curent trend is in pricing.

Good luck and Have fun listening.

John

Shipoke said:
Chip can you send me a list of Songs/Artist. I might be interested in some of them. Dave G
gaiski@comcast.net
Oh man, I was trying to avoid going through all of them. I guess the best thing to do is break them into lots and list the titles in each lot. I'll let you know when I get that done.

Thanks everyone.

If there are any independant record stores near you, give them a call. They might be interested in buying the lot off of you. They may even come to your house for them. you'd only get peanuts for them, but at least they'd be gone.

Anyone remember the children's show Fireball XL5?
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/kids/xl5.htm
I found a 45 by Barry Gray with "Fireball" on side one, and "XL5" on side two. I used to love that record.

How about the song "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" by The Royal Gardsmen? Found a copy of that too.
Also,
Gitarzan by Ray Stevens
Hawaii Five-O by The Ventures
Harper Valley P.T.A. by Jeannie C. Riley
You Better Sit Down Kids - Cher
Sunday Will Never Be The Same - Spanky and Our Gang
Eli's Coming - Three Dog Night

Not worth anything but it sure brings back memories. Kinda fun.

gibbons said:
Anyone remember the children's show Fireball XL5?
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/kids/xl5.htm
I found a 45 by Barry Gray with "Fireball" on side one, and "XL5" on side two. I used to love that record.

How about the song "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" by The Royal Gardsmen? Found a copy of that too.
Also,
Gitarzan by Ray Stevens
Hawaii Five-O by The Ventures
Harper Valley P.T.A. by Jeannie C. Riley
You Better Sit Down Kids - Cher
Sunday Will Never Be The Same - Spanky and Our Gang
Eli's Coming - Three Dog Night

Not worth anything but it sure brings back memories. Kinda fun.

I have a pristine 45RPM, on Wheeling label, of Wintertime In Maine. The singer is Chickie Williams, of the C & W husband & wife team of Doc and Chickie Williams. So what???? I also have the sheet music, signed off to me by the composer, Dr. E. Roy Moss. Neither is for sale.

Doc Moss was an osteopath in Thomaston, Maine. I grew up with his sons, the middle of whom bought my first Harley("125") from me. Doc figured he was probably the only country doctor who, on a quarterly basis for many years, received a royalty check from ASCAP(American Society of Authors, Composers, and Publishers). He wrote a bunch of songs , most of which were recorded by the Doc and Chickie Williams team(and their group).

HR

Chip,

The LPs and 45s probably have little value. 8-tracks, well, somebody may still have a player somewhere. But you never know, there might be something rare in there.

If the 78s are old enough, there may be some real jems in there. Especially some of the jazz, and R&B. I'd be interested in seeing what's in there on the 78s. I may know of a good home for some of them...:D

A friend who is a serious collector responds:

Here's the deal: Condition is everything. If the records (and jackets for LPs) aren't in very good shape, they're probably worthless.

You're correct in assuming it's the unusual stuff that has more value. If a record was a million seller, chances are there's still 900,000 of them out there.

However, collectors are pretty weird (takes one to know one) and anything by Elvis, the Beatles, Dylan or the Stones might have particular value. You can sell the 8 Tracks on eBay as a batch. Put them together by genre and dump 'em in quantity. They don't have much collector value, but there are people out there who want them.

There's also an eBay Discussion Board on records (God, I'm a Geek!) that I visit once in a while. That's a good place for a noob to start and learn about grading and pricing records.

Lastly: The market for rare records has been in the tank for about a year. I've been buying more than selling lately, so he shouldn't get his hopes up.

Ken's right, condition is everything. A good visual examination should reveal the general condition, such as major scratches, but a play through will be the only way to know for sure. I still have all of my LP's collected over the years except a handfull loaned out to friends, who loaned them out to other friends etc. I even have a pre-Ringo 45 of My Bonnie, recorded in Hamburg in good condition. :yes:

Chip;

Got any Chick Wood 78s or a Billy Holiday recordings. Also any Vic Demone early 78's ie 1949 particularly a song called "Sitting By the Window" Any performer who sang that song I would be interested.

Hey have fun listening to those oldies. Gitarzan I have do have by Ray Stevens. Another rare recording titled "My Dog name Cat" Listening to these is great fun.

Thank you

John

Back