Status
Not open for further replies.

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
"Bring out the trash day." Release bad news on Friday night when the networks and newspapers have all gone to bed for the weekend. On the Sunday morning news shows say, "WE'VE BEEN ALL OVER THIS! Let's move on!" Clinton's administration was expert at that.

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000972839

If this proves true, Rove not only has to answer for breaking the law in breaking a CIA agent's cover, he supposedly denied any involvement before the Grand Jury. That's perjury.

Gonna be fun to watch.

The sad thing is that the only people who really care about this (or just about anything in Washington nowadays) is the media and other politicians. I know I don't care. I've had it with the whole process. As someone keeps saying here: follow the money. It's not about the citizens any longer, regardless of which party you support.

I quit watching TV and reading the newspaper. I listen to the radio for the weather. Despite my complete lack of knowledge in most things political nowadays, my life has only gotten better since I quit worrying about something that's not changing anyway.

I'm going fishin'...

Brian Austin said:
The sad thing is that the only people who really care about this (or just about anything in Washington nowadays) is the media and other politicians. I know I don't care. I've had it with the whole process. As someone keeps saying here: follow the money. It's not about the citizens any longer, regardless of which party you support.

I quit watching TV and reading the newspaper. I listen to the radio for the weather. Despite my complete lack of knowledge in most things political nowadays, my life has only gotten better since I quit worrying about something that's not changing anyway.

I'm going fishin'...

You give up and the politicians have won.

Richard said:
You give up and the politicians have won.
Look around, Richard. They won a long time ago.

If you or I ran a business or even our personal finances the way the government does, we'd be in jail. If you or I 'exempted' ourselves from certain laws and taxes like they do, we'd be in jail. If you or I covered up obvious scandals, lied to juries and did all the backroom dealing they do, we'd be in jail.

Yet they're not, regardless of which party they belong to. Why? They became above the rest of us. Animal Farm applies HERE, too.

Brian Austin said:
Look around, Richard. They won a long time ago.

If you or I ran a business or even our personal finances the way the government does, we'd be in jail. If you or I 'exempted' ourselves from certain laws and taxes like they do, we'd be in jail. If you or I covered up obvious scandals, lied to juries and did all the backroom dealing they do, we'd be in jail.

Yet they're not, regardless of which party they belong to. Why? They became above the rest of us. Animal Farm applies HERE, too.

I thought you were down at the fishin hole?

You're probably right, I just hate the thought of giving up. Actually, I had given up during Reagan's 2nd term and up until the end of Bush the 1st 2nd term. Something of vital importance on the immediate horizon got me involved again. However, it wasn't until last year's Olympics that I hooked up the TV again.

At least stay involved in the local issues.

If the politicians are not the law yet they have put themselves above the law you have to ask how did it get that way? One person cannot turn back the tide, but everyone acting together can. Just as a parent ensures their child remains accountable, so does the voter hold the politicians accountable. If no one (or, too few) holds them accountable they will do as they please.

When a person says they are giving up they are thinking of themselves but that inward attitude does not allow for the fact that when one gives up the whole suffers for it. The problem is getting each individual, as an integral unit of the whole, to act with the understanding that it is of great importance that they, as individulas, remain in the game.

Don't say that's pie in the sky thinking. That is how the founding fathers did it. In just a few days we will be celebrating that decision by that group of individuals. Didja ever think that if they had given up--and they had every reason to--that we would be just another country like, say, Elbonia.

mikea said:
"Bring out the trash day." Release bad news on Friday night when the networks and newspapers have all gone to bed for the weekend. On the Sunday morning news shows say, "WE'VE BEEN ALL OVER THIS! Let's move on!" Clinton's administration was expert at that.

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000972839

If this proves true, Rove not only has to answer for breaking the law in breaking a CIA agent's cover, he supposedly denied any involvement before the Grand Jury. That's perjury.

Gonna be fun to watch.

You mean the liberal press covered it up? How can that be? :rolleyes:

Richard said:
I...That is how the founding fathers did it. In just a few days we will be celebrating that decision by that group of individuals. Didja ever think that if they had given up--and they had every reason to--that we would be just another country like, say, Elbonia.
Admirable words but a revolution in today's world would fail here without the huge support base of the American people. That's just not going to happen as long as they get their cable TV and other consumer goodies while keeping the cost of living relatively low (on a global scale).

Too flippin' hot for fishing down here in the Valley of Hell. Roads going out of town are iffy in some areas due to fires and heavy traffic for the holiday weekend. Blah.

Brian Austin said:
Too flippin' hot for fishing down here in the Valley of Hell. Roads going out of town are iffy in some areas due to fires and heavy traffic for the holiday weekend. Blah.

Well, if you bought a plane instead of that road monster, you wouldn't have a problem.

wsuffa said:
Well, if you bought a plane instead of that road monster, you wouldn't have a problem.
Uh-huh. DA is probably around 6000 ft right now at DVT. Most planes in my price range have no a/c. Ramp temp is probably close to 120.

At least with the road monster, I've got air conditioning, running water (including toilet), full refrigerator and a bed, regardless of where I am. :D

Brian Austin said:

I'm going fishin'...

I care ....BIG TIME. This is a lot more serious then lying about a BJ. Lets see how "fair" the system is.. Don't hold your breath

But, that said, I just think Rove is way way way too smart to have been behind a leak this serious. He could have gotten this out without his stench anywhere near it. Ever read the book Bush's Brain? This guy is as good as they get. There are few people I actually admire and truly despise. He is one. Yes, I'm jealous we democrats have no one that good.

Last edited:
wsuffa said:

Why do so many people mistake muck racking journalism with liberalism. And I should point out that two "liberal" journalist are willing to go to jail before revealing their source.

corjulo said:
And I should point out that two "liberal" journalist are willing to go to jail before revealing their source.

My comment was sarcasm, Dan.... :rolleyes:

wsuffa said:

I think my "Take Out the Trash Day" angle doesn't apply here. Still it's a convenient long weekend...

I watched the actual announcement of Karl Rove's name on "The McLaughin Group." They didn't act like the news of Karl Rove being the leaker was news to them, although none of the rest of them wanted to say his name. Pat Buchanan repeatedly called him "Smith."

They had one way out of the first crime. Since it was "well known" in Washington that Plame was a CIA agent the "outting an undercover agent" crime may not apply. Evidently Robert Novak, who first wrote the Plame story, already wrote a column saying that the source didn't give him the information. Novak asked the source to confirm what "everybody knew.". That was supposed to make a difference, too. They all thought the perjury thing would be the problem.

What the Time Magazine and New York Times reporters are being chased for is to see if they had the same source or if there are others.

I can tell you that Patrick Fitzgerald isn't going to answer to anybody. I hope GW knew what he was getting when he made Fitzgerald special prosecutor. He's going to find out.

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:
Admirable words but a revolution in today's world would fail here without the huge support base of the American people. That's just not going to happen as long as they get their cable TV and other consumer goodies while keeping the cost of living relatively low (on a global scale).

You've got that right. There might be a lot of people "supporting" this and that on the internet but I go to a lot of township and local board meetings and there's NO ONE there. Everyone makes a big deal over loss of private property rights, for example, when that's been going on for years at the local level.

Why get up and go to a meeting when you can forward urban legends and (insert political party name here) rhetoric with the click of a mouse.

Karl Rove's lawyer has made an announcement that it is Karl Rove named in the Time reporter's notes. He says that Rove talked to the reporters but did not reveal Plame's identity.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002356167_webrove02.html
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1079464,00.html

"Nothing to see here. Move along."

K. Remember that this source was demanded by the prosecutor where the reporters were ready to go to jail rather than reveal it. It must have been that Rove didn't want his friendly no-information conversations revealed.

mikea said:
They had one way out of the first crime. Since it was "well known" in Washington that Plame was a CIA agent the "outting an undercover agent" crime may not apply. .

I don't think this is true. In fact when she was first revealed several stories talked to friends that had NO idea. I doubt most people know either one of them. Other then his role in the first gulf war he has not exactly been a beltway regular.

This sounds a lot like the right wing spin machine. Keep saying she really wasn't a "secret" agent when, in fact, she really was. This is really dangerous behavior our leader are involved in. Too bad the Democrats are too scared and stupid to push the issue. THANK GOD FOR THE BLOGS.

mikea said:
Karl Rove's lawyer has made an announcement that it is Karl Rove named in the Time reporter's notes. He says that Rove talked to the reporters but did not reveal Plame's identity.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002356167_webrove02.html
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1079464,00.html

"Nothing to see here. Move along."

K. Remember that this source was demanded by the prosecutor where the reporters were ready to go to jail rather than reveal it. It must have been that Rove didn't want his friendly no-information conversations revealed.

Lawrence O'Donnell responds to Rove lawyers comments. This could be fun.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/update-on-rove_3584.html

corjulo said:
Lawrence O'Donnell responds to Rove lawyers comments. This could be fun.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/update-on-rove_3584.html

Of course Daniel, it could be that Rove and his lawyers are allowing O'Donnell to have all the rope he needs to wrap himself around the axle and be thrashed severely.

Better, don't you think, to let the facts tell the story than speculation and innuendo that is so often provided by the press - both sides? Here we have a "reporter"/columnist who is convinced of something with only the scent of something, and he is quick to try, convict and punish. Certainly the way to do it in America, at least these days, isn't it? What ever happened to justice and a day in court? Or is that only good for OJ and Michael?

F.W. Birdman said:
Of course Daniel, it could be that Rove and his lawyers are allowing O'Donnell to have all the rope he needs to wrap himself around the axle and be thrashed severely.

Better, don't you think, to let the facts tell the story than speculation and innuendo that is so often provided by the press - both sides? Here we have a "reporter"/columnist who is convinced of something with only the scent of something, and he is quick to try, convict and punish. Certainly the way to do it in America, at least these days, isn't it? What ever happened to justice and a day in court? Or is that only good for OJ and Michael?

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Rove could well be Rathering him. But, something tells me he's not. Anyway, Your right, we should let the facts come out. But, if not for the bloggers and at least a few doggid reporters you and I both know the truth would never come out. And god knows Karl Rove has never been one to let the truth get in the way of a good rumor. Just ask McCain

As a matter of fact, the law you claim was broken, probably wasn't. You should actually read the law, and actually know what the heck you are talking about, before making such accusations. Just because libs start making claims, it isn't so.

Joe Williams said:
As a matter of fact, the law you claim was broken, probably wasn't. You should actually read the law, and actually know what the heck you are talking about, before making such accusations. Just because libs start making claims, it isn't so.

Actually Joe, I have, you should to.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casec...s/15/subchapters/iv/sections/section_421.html

The act applies itself to a person who, as a result of having "authorized access to classified information," learns the "identity of a covert agent and intentionally discloses any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert agent's intelligence relationship to the United States." The statute also applies to persons who expose the identities of such agents "in the course of a pattern of activities intended to identify and expose covert agents and with reason to believe that such activities would impair or impede the foreign intelligence activities of the United States." [2] The Novak column did describe Plame as an "operative", but did not use the description "covert". Novak has claimed that the CIA made "a very weak request" that he not name Plame publicly. The CIA has disputed Novak's claim and indicated that he was told revealing the information could cost agents their lives.

Maybe Novak is off the hook. But I hardly think you can make the claim Rove is. Why don't we agree to let the Special Prosecutor do his job. I mean, he's a republican picked by the president so I certain he'll do a fair job.

Last edited:
So it was Rove. Boy was I wrong. But what's amazing is watching the right wing media machine kick into action. I have followed this story pretty closely and the distortions and out right lies being thrown up are amazing..These guys are good.

Let's not forget that the reason the Republicans were angry with Wilson is that he told the truth. And their preferred method of retaliation was to attack his wife. This is generally seen as the mark of a true coward.

The remark by Rove that to me hints at the depths of his depravity is the comment that Valerie Plame was now "fair game." There is something in the offhand quality of that remark, even if Rove was not the one who revealed her identity, that is chilling. This was an agent of the CIA, a woman sufficiently patriotic to have dedicated her career to serving her country. This, supposedly, is what Republicans believe in. Yet once her husband angered the President, she was quickly made into "fair game." And fair game for what, exactly?

corjulo said:
So it was Rove. Boy was I wrong. But what's amazing is watching the right wing media machine kick into action. I have followed this story pretty closely and the distortions and out right lies being thrown up are amazing..These guys are good.

So far he has admitted he was a source, and the name that one reporter was protecting. They are denying he was the source of the Plame name.

But the press secretary who said it was ridiculous is not saying anything now.

Also note that the "liberal media" didn't say a word all week. The story was not picked up even when Karl Rove's own lawyer admitted he was the source over the 4th of July weekend. They were scared sh*less.

corjulo said:
snip
Let's not forget that the reason the Republicans were angry with Wilson is that he told the truth. snip

Wilson was proven to be a liar. This is a well known fact, and your deliberate falsehood in saying otherwise undermines, once again, everything you have to say on the subject. Are you people even capable of telling the truth?

mikea said:
snipIf this proves true, Rove not only has to answer for breaking the law in breaking a CIA agent's cover, he supposedly denied any involvement before the Grand Jury. That's perjury.

Gonna be fun to watch.

The news reports indicate that you are not at all correct in your claim that Rove lied to a Grand Jury. They indicate, in fact, that he's been cooperative with the grand jury and the special prosecuter in all respects. The reporters have had in hand a waiver allowing them to name their source for more than a year.

Brian Austin said:

snip

is cable TV the opiate of the masses? ;)

Joe Williams said:
Wilson was proven to be a liar. This is a well known fact, and your deliberate falsehood in saying otherwise undermines, once again, everything you have to say on the subject. Are you people even capable of telling the truth?
Joe,

This statement goes too far. You are directly accusing Dan of lying and questioning his ability to tell the truth because you disagree with his statement.

An appropriate way to respond would be to provide references discrediting the statement by Dan, NOT to accuse him of deliberately lying and questioning his general truthfulness.

Challenge the statement, do not attack the person.

This discussion is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back