N/A Recommend electric room heater

W. Stewart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
W. Stewart
I am looking for recommendations for an electric heater to use in our bedroom. My wife and I live in basically two rooms. We recently installed a gas-fired "woodstove" in the combo family room/kitchen, and it works so well that we might only light the central furnace when the "kids" come home. We need a quiet electric heater to use in the bedroom, however. Recommendations?

Wells

I have an oil-filled electric radiator. Silent. No fan, it's just a radiator.

Nice for a small room to add a heat source. I use it in my small home office.

Yep, for primary heat the oil filled radiators are the best. For additional spot heat I like the little ceramic cubes.

Whatever looks best to you.

Infrared is good for heating surfaces (point it at you)

Forced convection (fan) mixes the air and makes the temperature more uniform.

Natural convection (no fan) is quiet.

Efficiency (BTU out per kW hour in) is almost exactly the same no matter what.

Infrared or ceramic are nice for rapidly heating up a cold room.

Oil-filled radiators are better, in my opinion, for rooms that are always kept at about the same temperature.

I use both depending on the use of the area and whether I want it heated all the time or not.

Rich

I used to heat a boat interior with a Coleman lantern when I lived on anchors. Just scooted up the glass with a candle and hung it from the hatch by the vent. Life in a 27' sailboat. :rofl: In TX we used propane bottle heaters.

In my houseboat under the Fremont Bridge, I placed a small fan on the open door of the electric stove. As it was basically one room, it worked out pretty good.

The only thing wrong with that place was the suicide jumpers off the bridge about every two weeks.

The oil filled ones work well. Do use some juice though, so judicious use of the timer is recommended. Also be aware it might stink to high heaven when you first start using it. Leave it on high overnight, and all is good thereafter.

I have an oil-filled electric radiator. Silent. No fan, it's just a radiator.

Nice for a small room to add a heat source. I use it in my small home office.

I had one of those in the middle of a room in my house. Away from all curtains. New model with all of the safties.

The source of the fire was undetermined...but the marshal walked me over to the spot where the heater had been sitting and said "It started right here."

Jim

Attachments

• Oil filled heater.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
I am looking for recommendations for an electric heater to use in our bedroom. My wife and I live in basically two rooms. We recently installed a gas-fired "woodstove" in the combo family room/kitchen, and it works so well that we might only light the central furnace when the "kids" come home. We need a quiet electric heater to use in the bedroom, however. Recommendations?

Wells

I've been seeing these wall mounted panel heaters lately and always thought I try one if I needed one. Seem to be efficient, quiet and take up little space.

http://econo-heat.com/us/products/eheater-wall-panel-heater/

http://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Heater-Mounted-Electric-Panel-Heater/dp/B00627SZWA

I've been seeing these wall mounted panel heaters lately and always thought I try one if I needed one. Seem to be efficient, quiet and take up little space.

http://econo-heat.com/us/products/eheater-wall-panel-heater/
" low electricity consumption, only 400 watts"
Not much heat.

"Pioneer - First company to offer 600 Watt size heating panel."
About half the heat of most other electric plug in heaters.

Last edited:
Howdy, Wells.
We have just about turned off the heat in our bedroom down to about 35°F OAT since we started using a mattress-top electric blanket. Turn it on about 30mins before bedtime and then turn it way low when you get in; you'll be toasty all night and save a bunch on heating a whole room.
This is the type that is underneath the sheets, right on the mattress. It has individual controls for each side of the bed.
Sooo much nicer than getting into an ice-brick bed.
We sleep much better in winter now, with the cool air in the room.

Howdy, Wells.
We have just about turned off the heat in our bedroom down to about 35°F OAT since we started using a mattress-top electric blanket. Turn it on about 30mins before bedtime and then turn it way low when you get in; you'll be toasty all night and save a bunch on heating a whole room.
This is the type that is underneath the sheets, right on the mattress. It has individual controls for each side of the bed.
Sooo much nicer than getting into an ice-brick bed.
We sleep much better in winter now, with the cool air in the room.

Yeah, but it's hell when you have to get out of bed :)

Yeah, but it's hell when you have to get out of bed :)

That's where a ceramic, radiant, or infrared heater with a timer comes in. Set it to turn on at five to ten minutes before reveille.

Rich

That's where a ceramic, radiant, or infrared heater with a timer comes in. Set it to turn on at five to ten minutes before reveille.

Rich

But what about when you have to pee at 3am? You might need a 'Clapper'...:D

"We have just about turned off the heat in our bedroom down to about 35°F OAT since we started using a mattress-top electric blanket."

Subjecting subtle brain and body electrical activity to close-proximity long term (extended hours on a daily basis) electrical field exposure may not be a good thing. We get plenty of radiation exposure in the electronic soup we live in during the day. During sleep the body repairs itself, or tries to. Studies have shown that even small amounts of light inhibit the repair processes. It only makes sense (to me anyway) that draping an electrical field over oneself for extended periods is not a great idea.

"We have just about turned off the heat in our bedroom down to about 35°F OAT since we started using a mattress-top electric blanket."

Subjecting subtle brain and body electrical activity to close-proximity long term (extended hours on a daily basis) electrical field exposure may not be a good thing. We get plenty of radiation exposure in the electronic soup we live in during the day. During sleep the body repairs itself, or tries to. Studies have shown that even small amounts of light inhibit the repair processes. It only makes sense (to me anyway) that draping an electrical field over oneself for extended periods is not a great idea.

The mattress-top is usually 10w where a traditional electric blanket is 100w. I've been using one for about 3 years and it's wonderful. However, I use it to warm the bed then turn it off when we crawl in.

This getting up to pee, or arising for work is a non-issue.
I turn my side completely off soon after getting into bed and my body's normal temp set point seems to drop with ambient as the night progresses - when we get up, we don't notice any chill or discomfort.
Your body 'gets used to being cool' so when you get up, you could see your breath but you won't feel cold.
It might be something you'd only believe if you experienced it.

The mattress-top is usually 10w where a traditional electric blanket is 100w. I've been using one for about 3 years and it's wonderful. However, I use it to warm the bed then turn it off when we crawl in.

We have one that we have been using for 10 years or so. We have dual controls so I do like you and pre-heat and jump in. The wife on the other hands wants to be on the rotisserie all night :)

Back