N/A Post Office Etiquette

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
The other day, I was at the post office mailing a small GPS unit that I had sold to someone on ebay. When I got to the counter, I told the guy I wanted insurance, and then told him how much. He asked me, What's inside? And I told him, a GPS unit.

Later I was thinking--why in the world is it HIS business what I'm mailing? Sure, I always get and answer the "Anything fragile, perishable, dangerous, etc." question everytime I ship something. That's fine. But now I have to tell the clerk what's inside a package that I want to mail?

Might I have asnwered, "There's nothing dangerous or questionable inside at all."

mattaxelrod said:
Might I have asnwered, "There's nothing dangerous or questionable inside at all."

Sure. They ask the questions because the are required to.

At my local post office I smile when they go through the routine questions. It's just ludicrous. I asked one of the regular workers if they really thought someone mailing a bomb or Anthrax would answer truthfully. She just smiled.

The only time I've ever been asked is when I buy insurance.

My assumption was it had to do with the insurance.

I bought some coins from a dealer a number of years ago, changed my mind and returned them. I really hesitated when I got asked the contents of the small, heavy box when purchasing insurance. I told them "mineral samples" ...

"There's a big pile of untraceable gold coins in this box. Make sure everyone who handles this box knows that, ok?"

So you guys are saying it's an insurance thing? Then shouldn't I fill out a form or something listing the contents, rather than just asnwering some clerk?

mattaxelrod said:
So you guys are saying it's an insurance thing? Then shouldn't I fill out a form or something listing the contents, rather than just answering some clerk?
Just say "Electronic Equipment."

I had UPS at a UPS store open my box and tell me my Nav/Com wasn't packed good enough to get insurance - insurance that costs 5% of the stated value. I had the slef-contained radio itself wrapped in foam and buble paper. It wasn't going to get hurt. I guess we all have to have custom-formed styrofoam that they still can break with a forklift tine.

I would guess the USPS has to ask what's in the box for among other reasons due to Ted Kazinsky, the UNABOMER. Note that every mailbox in the country says that you can't mail any package over 1 pound without visiting the counter at post office. The theory being they can get you on tape in your sunglasses and hoodie. I guess they hope he would have said what he was mailing.

I believe it was about the whole insurance deal.

I was shipping a model helicopter a while back to someone in Cali. I took it to FedEx to ship. It was a good size crate. Nothing difficult to pick-up.

I insured it for $1400...the value of which I sold it for. The lady behind the counter looked at me and asked "whats in it?" My dumbass said: "oh...its an RC helicopter."

The guy in Cali never got it...and FedEx online showed it never left the location I dropped it off at. It was conveniently missing...what a surprise.

FedEx Claims even had the nerve to call me and say my claim would not be honored because a "toy" could not have such a value.

Regardless, they received a very strongly-worded letter the next day.

(Now I write what im sending on the box...:::URINE SAMPLES:::)

mpartovi said:
FedEx Claims even had the nerve to call me and say my claim would not be honored because a "toy" could not have such a value.

Regardless, they received a very strongly-worded letter the next day.

the important question is: "did they honor the claim, eventually?"

jangell said:
The only time I've ever been asked is when I buy insurance.

My assumption was it had to do with the insurance.

I think you're right. Probably has something to do with keeping people from sending worthless packages insured for big bucks hoping to make out on the insurance payoff.

lancefisher said:
I think you're right. Probably has something to do with keeping people from sending worthless packages insured for big bucks hoping to make out on the insurance payoff.
How does the actual value of the package factor into whether or not the insurance is payed out? If I should buy the insurance would it matter if it were an empty envelope?

The other side of that is if I do mail something of high value and I do buy the appropriate insurance. Are they going to debate me on the determined value before the pay out?

lancefisher said:

Yeah, but if I'm doing that, I'm not going to say, Oh, well, this is an empty box, but I'll take the $300 in insurance anyway." And they still have to take my word for it.

mattaxelrod said:
lancefisher said:
Yeah, but if I'm doing that, I'm not going to say, Oh, well, this is an empty box, but I'll take the $300 in insurance anyway." And they still have to take my word for it.
Ummm.. gentlemen, this would only be a concern if they assume that an attractive item WILL BE STOLEN. Is that a given? "It's a case of 12 5th gen iPods."

Once they scan the barcode at the service counter they have the item in their possesion in the system and they're supposed to know where it went last.

I do note that they have one way mirrors high on the wall at my post office carrier center. I've also seen the footage of the USPS worker rifling through every greeting card in the bin to get the enclosed cash from Grandma, so maybe it IS a given.

Packages with insurance are supposed to be tracked and secured better.

mikea said:
Packages with insurance are supposed to be tracked and secured better.

At least with the PO they are. Don't count on that with DHL, though. I've seen how packages are treated with them. If you want something broken in transit, send it DHL.

Back