N/A PIREP request: Roswell, NM

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
My daughter is exploring a potential job opportunity in the Roswell, NM area. It would involve a fair amount of travel to farms and ranches in SE NM, parts of west Texas, west Oklahoma, and SE Kansas.

Except for Area 51 and all those aliens :yikes: I know very little about the area. I would appreciate any overall thoughts about Roswell and these surrounding areas.

My daughter is exploring a potential job opportunity in the Roswell, NM area. It would involve a fair amount of travel to farms and ranches in SE NM, parts of west Texas, west Oklahoma, and SE Kansas.

Except for Area 51 and all those aliens :yikes: I know very little about the area. I would appreciate any overall thoughts about Roswell and these surrounding areas.

Certain rare people really love that kind of country, the rest just drink heavily.:D

It is mostly desolate, arid, land, with an amazing amount of brutal weather year round. Thats my take.

I have flown over E NM many times, and it is sooo beautiful. Have not spent much time on the ground, so not too familiar with the people or infrastructure.
Mountains to the W of Roswell, so skiing & other outdoor activities not too far away.
USDA job? Pharmaceutical?

I've driven through a number of times. It's desolate, windy, dry. There's little to no infrastructure there. Some desert stuff to do around there. Various caves not just Carlsbad nearby, but no skiing for hours away. Either poor ag work, or moderately well paying gas/oil work.

I wouldn't let my kid move there unless the money was big - really big.

My guess is that west Texas is about to be a lot more depressing place than it already is with the current oil situation.

I have flown over E NM many times, and it is sooo beautiful. Have not spent much time on the ground, so not too familiar with the people or infrastructure.
Mountains to the W of Roswell, so skiing & other outdoor activities not too far away.
USDA job? Pharmaceutical?

Veterinarian. She graduates in May.

I used to live and work in Roswell....graduated from the Military School there way back as well. I took my first airplane to Roswell after getting my license in San Jose kommiefornia. Roswell industrial air center has a 13000ft runway and a 8 or 10000 footer as well. Lots of other runways around the area. Flying season is long and weather isn't bad compared to where I am now. Winter flying is great and you can find flatland to the east or mountains to the west. Skiing isn't that far off if you don't mind texans. Ruidoso is only an hour and a half away. People are pretty friendly and when I left in 1990 there were a large number of Dairies so paydirt for Veterinarians. Its not really arid desert, its more like savannah or grassy plains. Many don't like it and mores the better, it keeps the population down in the area. You don't need a GPS much in the area due to clear air and wonderful landmarks to the north, south and west which make navigating a no brainer. There isn't much to the east but haze and westex. With the widening of US 285 for the waste isolation pilot plant in Carlsbad its easy to head north to Abq or Santa Fe or to go south to Carlsbad. US 380 cuts through east/west and heads to Ruidoso for horse racing (more vet stuff), skiing and hiking. I suppose if you don't like being 3 to 4 hours away from city life its not for you (or the kid) but if you don't mind rural its a nice place.

Frank

Roswell is definately the best town to live in of S New Mexico.
For large animal vets, lots of dairy industry and ranchland past the horizons.

I used to live and work in Roswell....graduated from the Military School there way back as well.

Skiing isn't that far off if you don't mind texans.
Frank

Most actual skiing Texans won't be found at Ruidoso. Taos yes, Angel Fire if they are slow or beginners, but most keep going to real skiing in CO. Ruidoso <> skiing.

Most actual skiing Texans won't be found at Ruidoso. Taos yes, Angel Fire if they are slow or beginners, but most keep going to real skiing in CO. Ruidoso <> skiing.

Been to Taos this year? Big things happened over the summer.

Been to Taos this year? Big things happened over the summer.

Actually no, but I heard things. I've got the Vail Epic local pass, so spending my time up there.

Actually no, but I heard things. I've got the Vail Epic local pass, so spending my time up there.

Nothing wrong with that. We expect some big changes over the next few years in Taos. Of course nothing can happen there, NOTHING, that doesn't stir up some of the locals, so we'll see if all the plans go through. Problems that places like Vail don't have.

Nothing wrong with that. We expect some big changes over the next few years in Taos. Of course nothing can happen there, NOTHING, that doesn't stir up some of the locals, so we'll see if all the plans go through. Problems that places like Vail don't have.

I'm buying an off-grid up near there, which was my question about the well deal in another thread. I might be spending a lot of time at Taos next season. I like Vail properties, but don't care for the corp aspects.

Remember Ski Rio? Closed for many years now. And sorry about the hijack.

I'm buying an off-grid up near there, which was my question about the well deal in another thread. I might be spending a lot of time at Taos next season. I like Vail properties, but don't care for the corp aspects.

Remember Ski Rio? Closed for many years now. And sorry about the hijack.

I have a place in Arroyo Seco, I know all the "experts" at the airport. Let me know if I can help you out in any way. Of course I remember Ski Rio, I still fly fish near there.

I have a place in Arroyo Seco, I know all the "experts" at the airport. Let me know if I can help you out in any way. Of course I remember Ski Rio, I still fly fish near there.

Next month we're gonna be sort-of neighbors. I'm up just N of Questa, west of 522. Always been treated well at the airport. Although I wish the courtesy truck didn't use so much gas.

Next month we're gonna be sort-of neighbors. I'm up just N of Questa, west of 522. Always been treated well at the airport. Although I wish the courtesy truck didn't use so much gas.

Have you landed at Questa? Just a bit rough there...

Area 51 is in Nevada about 50 miles or so from the California border...

I could tell you exactly where, but then I would have to kill ya...:D

Area 51 is in Nevada about 50 miles or so from the California border...

I could tell you exactly where, but then I would have to kill ya...:D

don'tcha know 'bout temporal co-geo-location and the coming alien invasion? Area 51 and White Sands are samey-same.

I've driven through a number of times. It's desolate, windy, dry. There's little to no infrastructure there. Some desert stuff to do around there. Various caves not just Carlsbad nearby, but no skiing for hours away. Either poor ag work, or moderately well paying gas/oil work.

I wouldn't let my kid move there unless the money was big - really big.
This.

I lived in Deming for 6 months last year after I took a job near the border. Highway I-10 is routinely shut down for hours at a time due to sand/dust storms. I've been sand storms there where you could not see beyond 5 feet. My site manager advised me to carry a weapon everywhere I went, which wasn't out of the ordinary - a significant portion of the people that live there carry weapons. The dentist of one of the guys on the site was beheaded. The border patrol are in a constant battle against illegals and cartel operations. My wife finally told me she didn't sign up to live in a combat zone, so I quit and we moved further north. Of course, now I'm back to working in an actual combat zone again... :rolleyes2:

Hanger 18 is in Roswell....still there in the late 90's at least. As noted Area 51 is not.
Deming and Roswell are way different both in terrain and people. I'd not live in Deming either though I did live in Las Cruces for a while.

Frank

This.

I lived in Deming for 6 months last year after I took a job near the border. Highway I-10 is routinely shut down for hours at a time due to sand/dust storms. I've been sand storms there where you could not see beyond 5 feet. My site manager advised me to carry a weapon everywhere I went, which wasn't out of the ordinary - a significant portion of the people that live there carry weapons. The dentist of one of the guys on the site was beheaded. The border patrol are in a constant battle against illegals and cartel operations. My wife finally told me she didn't sign up to live in a combat zone, so I quit and we moved further north. Of course, now I'm back to working in an actual combat zone again... :rolleyes2:

WHAT????????

This is what I was worried about.

I spent a week in Juarez one weekend when I was young and stupid. Now I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it.

Hanger 18 is at Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio. That's where the Air Force took the aliens shortly after their spaceship crashed near Roswell.

I was stationed at Alamogordo for a while, and spent a lot of time at Cannon AFB near Clovis.

I liked it there just fine, but my wife hated it because she wore contacts. There's very often a lot of dust swirling around, which can mess with contact lenses.

Not too long ago I stayed overnight in Roswell on my way to visit the Trinity Site on one of the two days a year that historic place is open to the public.

I visited the UFO Museum, which is kind of fun. In the Museum is a WWII teletype machine on display. A young mother and her daughter couldn't figure out what the TTY was, and I couldn't help but explain to them that this is what we had before the internet.

WHAT????????

This is what I was worried about.

I spent a week in Juarez one weekend when I was young and stupid. Now I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it.
:lol: I was young once myself :D

I did some fact checking and the dentist was either in Columbus (just south of Deming) or Palomas (just across the border).

It's not a very healthy place to live. LOTS of wide open spaces, but everyone is hungry for a better life, and many of them earn/supplement their income from the cartel.

Back