[N/A] Ouch!

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
If the kitty dish in the kitty shelter is missing from the front, it may have been pushed back. DO NOT, if it's dark, reach inside to get it for refilling. Surprises happen.

HR

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 114
It turned out to be a scratch, not a bite; rabies series not stressed unless it reddens and begins to swell. "If it does, get back here FAST."
The 2nd image, I was holding/pointing a flashlight through my storm door via my left hand, iPhone picture snapping with my right hand.
Rocky was probably sleeping in there. The red dish can be seen, partially, behind him. He usually moves away quickly when he sees me.
When I reached in to "find" the dish he let out a hell of a bark and my hand came out in a hurry, such as it was.

Harley, rabies is 99+% fatal if you start showing symptoms. Truck on over to Wikipedia and read their article on Rabies and make sure your Doc does the right thing. My father in law, Dr. Ivan Vodipija, developed what is called the Zagreb Protocol, one of the most effective ways to prevent rabies and although it was developed back in the 1970s, it is still widely used today. There is nothing better. -Skip

Yow. Do you have a shovel? I'm not sure that thing will be missed.

Yow. Do you have a shovel? I'm not sure that thing will be missed.
I've already Have-a-Heart trapped three 'coons and relocated each to 4 or 5 miles away. Local game warden relocated the first one;
told me if "they" are aggressive, probably rabid. If not aggressive, likely not rabid - leave them alone. 2½ days after the warden
relocated #1, I THINK he found his way back to under my deck; looked like the same one.
Re the one that got me, the doctor said "scratched," because a bite would have had not only puncture wounds but longer flesh wounds
because of the force by which I pulled my hand back. Rocky would have been locked onto me. He also quoted the fatality rate of the
rabies factor, "nearly always fatal."

Had he done that to me, Rocky would have been the fatality. Glocks speak loudly.

I had a 'coon as a pet when I was a kid in grade school. Best pet I ever had. He used to ride on my shoulder all over town when I'd ride my bike. I'd ride up to the town swimming pool. When we got there he'd climb a tree and wait for me. When it was time to leave he'd come down and hop back on my shoulder and we'd ride home. I never kept him caged, just let him roam around on the few acres I grew up on.

I'd like to have another...or better yet, a skunk.

When I was growing up, we had a momma skunk that would have her baby skunks in our barn. We fed her and put water out. We would watch her take care of her babies. She never sprayed. Pop warned us to never feed her out of our hands, but we did anyway. She raised 7 families in our barn, then we never saw her again.

That animal should be caught, euthanized and the brain tissue tested for rabies. Have you talked to the wardens since ?

That animal should be caught, euthanized and the brain tissue tested for rabies. Have you talked to the wardens since ?
The injury hasn't reddened or swelled, and there've been no further discussions.

Zeldman: Did your skunk look like this one? Yes, that's the same red dish the raccoon was using, but before it was moved into the kitty dog house.

HR

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The injury hasn't reddened or swelled, and there've been no further discussions.

Swelling and redness are more likely to be a bacterial infection rather than rabies. It makes for a bad marker to exclude rabies infection.
Call the wardens back and have them eliminate this human aggressive coon. You don't want to be the first case of racoon transmitted rabies.

Back