[N/A] Nothing to do during a hurricane?!

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
From Yahoo News...

MIAMI (Reuters) - Nine months after the first of three hurricanes crisscrossed central Florida and stranded residents in their darkened homes, hospitals throughout the region are reporting a baby boom, the Orlando Sentinel said on Tuesday.

Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach has seen 25 percent more deliveries than a year ago and pregnant women flocking to childbirth classes there all tell the same story.

"There was no electricity, they were spending a lot of time at home, there were candles and -- I'll leave the rest up to you," Halifax spokeswoman Kate Holcomb told the newspaper.

Some women said hurricanes Charley, Frances and Jeanne and their aftermath made it difficult for them to reach their pharmacies for birth-control pills.

Florida Hospital, one of the region's largest hospital groups, has seen a 26 percent increase in births at its Winter Park Memorial since May 20 compared with the same period last year and an 18 percent spike at its downtown Orlando campus.

"We've got our catcher's mitts on," said Jan Wagner, a registered nurse in Halifax's labor and delivery department.

"We've got our catcher's mitts on," said Jan Wagner, a registered nurse in Halifax's labor and delivery department.
That just kills me! ROFL!

As I recall several years ago there was a major power outage back east I think in the NY Area(?) that had the same effect. So I assume that we could call TV as "birth control".

sere said:
As I recall several years ago there was a major power outage back east I think in the NY Area(?) that had the same effect. So I assume that we could call TV as "birth control".

The great blaclout of 2003. From Eastern Michigan (Detroit included) all the way to the Eastern Seaboard (N.Y.C. included). I think we were out for the better part of 3 days......

A friend I work with occasionally once told me he has 8 kids :hairraise:

"Eight?! Alex, don't you own a TV?" was about all I could think to say....

sere said:

Same thing happened in New England after the Ice Storm of 98 (or was it late 97? Man my memory is foggy). Everyone in my family, except my brother, is a "winter conception" baby. Summers must have been really long for the men in the family.... :D

Cheers,

-Andrew

Same thing happened in COS during the blizzard of 97. (It was a modest blizzard but rated blizzard anyway) The ones that didn't stress out and have them during the blizzard (with limited/nonexistent ability to get to the hospitals) had blizzard babies 9 months later by the busload.

I have no clue at all why anyone would want to stay inside during a modest blizzard anyway. It's way more fun to go for really long snowhikes in them. :goofy:

Back