N/A Military Gens N/A

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
I'm researching ex-military diesel generators to replace the current gas back-up gen for the house. The relevant choices seem to be either a MEP802A ( 2-cylinder 5KW) or MEP803A (4-cylinder 10KW). The specs for both say they will burn JP8 which is equivalent to Jet-A, according to reading I have done. I have no experience with either gen unit.

The 5KW would probably do everything I need, but I had a guy (who has a 10KW for sale) tell me that the 2 cylinders on the smaller unit actually produce more noise and vibration than the 4 cylinder 10KW unit, and the fuel consumption is about the same for the same load.

Anybody have any relevant experience or knowledge? Thanks!

Jim

PS- Oh...wait...disregard the N/A! We'll take the old gen to the hangar, which has the four-pronged outlet, and raise/lower the door if/when the power is out. Tada...aviation-related!

Last edited:
My experience is only using them for many years but not having to do the maintenance...yes they use the Army’s universal fuel and Jet A is the equivalent...anyway in general as long as they were services and run on a regular basis there fine...have them sit a month or two they have problems starting and running...longer and your asking for even more issues...not much different that most machines...they are not quiet by any standards

Never maintained an 802 or 803, used them extensively in my military career.

Reliable, loud enough that it’s noticeable. When running it for extended periods (think week+ continuous), you need to have a load on it as they can wet stack, despite what you read.

They aren’t nearly as bad about wet stacking as their predecessors, but it can occur. When we planned our power, there was always a load bank required on at least one gen circuit.

But, I’ve seen the same 802s last several deployments as continuous power, with only scheduled PMI/PMCS.

I’m planning on the same thing, tons of YouTube videos and kits you can get get for them.

OK....I'll bite, TCABM......wet stack? Easier and more educational to have someone tell me than to google :) How much load?.....our fridge is one of the new units that runs almost continuously, but at low power...that enough load? Thanks!

Jim

OK....I'll bite, TCABM......wet stack? Easier and more educational to have someone tell me than to google :) How much load?.....our fridge is one of the new units that runs almost continuously, but at low power...that enough load? Thanks!

Jim

The technical term is 'gunk up'.

Happens to some diesels if they run with too low of a load for a long time.

Very informative articles....thanks TCABM!

Been doing a bunch of reading. Found out there's actually a 'kit' that will give the military generators the 'auto-start with an automatic transfer switch' capability, like the whole-house Generacs and equivalents. Kinda nifty!

Jim

Jim

Basically unburned fuel getting into the exhaust.

Rich

I'll be following your enclosure build, Rich. It's nothing without pics!

Jim

I'll be following your enclosure build, Rich. It's nothing without pics!

Jim

I'm still debating whether to build one, buy one, or retrofit something similar (like a dog house, for example). I'm also debating the option of just dragging the generator out as needed, which costs nothing and requires no effort until the need arises, which usually can be predicted. Ever since NYSEG was bought out by AVANGRID, that would mean pretty much any time the forecast isn't CAVU. They do zero preventive maintenance anymore.

Rich

Back