N/A Marbles sight

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Not sure how many gun guys we got on here, but I got a question for anyone who know marble peep sights.

I'm getting my 50's Winchester 1894 30/30 done up, new black walnut stocks, re-blue, color case hardening, etc.

I'm going to be putting a white dot from marble blade on, marble flip up rear iron sight, and a marble flip up tang sight, standard model.

Question is, I don't want the new quasi universal marble with the one screw hole in the front and the slot (for different tangs) in the rear, just reminds me of those cheap aftermarket car wheels with a bunch of holes for different lug patterns.

..so I've been looking at the vintage Marble W1s on eBay, question is do hey have a positive lock or click up engagement when flipping up the rear tang sight?

W1
$_3.JPG

New marble standard sight, notice the slot vs screw hole in the rear.
p_579000166_1.jpg

Hmmm, I'm a gun guy, but sadly more of a modern gun guy. That's out of my wheelhouse. Will be interested to see the finished project tho. Good luck!

It'll end up looking something like this, just a carbine

image.jpg

Idea is for 0-50yrds you have the rear peep folded down, forward iron site up, and shoot that way,

For 50-max useful range (just shy of 200yds for the 30/30), rear iron down, peep up.

Ive always been a modern gun guy myself, was actually going to build up a long range AR10, but where I live it's quite wooded and a near 1,000yrd rifle makes little sense.

Read up on the 1894s, and they were described as one of the most effective rifles under 200yrds, after holding and firing mine, it points like nothing else, target acquisition is lightning fast and natural, and for what I do, 7 rounds of 30/30 is all I need for my mission, also not a shabby home defense gun, chamber a round in a 30/30 has the same physiological effect as a 12 gauge and it's great in close quarters with a round that will handle most decent sized game, plus 30/30 is fun and cheap to shoot.

Last edited:
Nice. I love the look of the case hardening. I have an old 44-40 6 shooter. Would love a similar carbine in 44-40 to match. Just for funsies!

Sorry, never had anything that had one of those on it. 1894 is a nice piece of machinery, though.

I had an old marble sight once when I was a kid...if I recall, it had a spring of some sort, that would tend to lock it in the up or down position.

Back