N/A karaoke-producing software - ideas?

lprellwitz

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iBug
Need some input from the techies in the room....

I've been volunteered to assist with putting together some pre-recorded music for our company's awards ceremony. For the closing act, we want to use a broadway show tune, but have employees sing the tune with recorded music in the background.

(Haven't been able to get a read on the expertise of the singers yet...)

Anyway, I'm looking for software that will allow me to take a song and reduce or eliminate the vocals, and possibly allow me to shorten the song a bit. I'm working on a Windows Vista 64-bit box that's relatively well set up for multimedia; does anyone have suggestions for a program that will do the trick?

Thanks, Leslie

You need the Thompson Vocal Eliminator! (audiophiles may remember this from the back of the mags).

If it's a popular tune, you may be able to find a "music-minus-one" version without vocals, as well as finding a MIDI version.

What's the tune?

This is the technical equivelant of taking the eggs out of a pound cake after you bake it...:rofl::rofl:.

I have been waiting for years to use that answer on a forum...I get these calls all the time at work.

The easy way out is www.musicalcreations.com Jeff probably has the song you are thinking of in stock, can send it to you in any key you require and can edit it to length as required.

Some possibilities if Musical Creations is not a preferred method...

http://www.make-your-own-karaoke.com/?gclid=CNLnqfr30JgCFQ2dnAodbUVx0w

http://www.ethanwiner.com/novocals.html

Good ideas so far. The tune is 'One', from A Chorus Line. Trick is, I really like the instrumentation of the original broadway soundtrack. I've found various karaoke versions out there, but none of them are quite the same. Listened to some of the versions on musicalcreations, but didn't find this 'One' (yeah, bad pun, but it needed to be said :) ).

I use Karafun. It kicks serious ass.

The problem being that eliminating vocals can sometimes make the song sound crappy. YMMV

Good ideas so far. The tune is 'One', from A Chorus Line. Trick is, I really like the instrumentation of the original broadway soundtrack. I've found various karaoke versions out there, but none of them are quite the same. Listened to some of the versions on musicalcreations, but didn't find this 'One' (yeah, bad pun, but it needed to be said :) ).

Leslie,

If you can send me a copy of the song, I can give it a shot for you. I have some software that has a de-vocalizer plugin that does an astonishingly good job most of the time - I've had a couple of songs it was unable to remove enough, and some where it was utterly unbelievably good (no trace of the vocals, very little noticeable change to the music). Most tracks, you can still hear the vocals just a tiny bit but it's as if they turned the singers' mics off but not the band's.

The software is Mac-only, or I'd have just told you what it was. ;)

Back