[N/A] Hypoglycemia & memory loss

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
I've been googling for a bit, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.
1. Does anyone here know if hypoglycemic events can lead to memory loss, decrease cognitive function, or some other neurological condition?

2. Are the effects temporary or can be long term?

I've got a cousin who's had issues managing his diabetes among other health issues (which I believe are all related to poor diabetes management). For over a decade he's been more or less hyperglycemic to the point of several hospitalizations. Over the past year or 2 he's gone the other way and had dozens of hypoglycemic events. A handful were on the verge of diabetic coma & beyond my abilities to help requiring a trip to the ER.

He seems to have no memory of the events and seems to be slightly forgetful and mentally slower for the following few days. An example is that you will talk to him and he will take longer to respond and he forgets several things you said earlier. I know it's subtle & subjective but I keep thinking these are the moments I'll look back on with 20/20 hindsight when something big happens (once again) and say "if only I knew this time would be the tipping point".

Take him to a doctor. He may have had a mild stroke.

I think I misread your post....

Last edited:
Shywon is pretty close to the mark. It's hard to tell which it is, but repetitive hypoglycemia is DEFINITELY not good for neurons, but neither is 20 years of diabetes....and all the vascular disease that also occurs.

Take him to a doctor. He may have had a mild stroke.

I think I misread your post....
He's had a mild stroke in the past, but I was really referring to these symptoms occurring for a few days after a hypoglycemic event and then going away. I'm just not optimistic that they'll always go away.
Shywon is pretty close to the mark. It's hard to tell which it is, but repetitive hypoglycemia is DEFINITELY not good for neurons, but neither is 20 years of diabetes....and all the vascular disease that also occurs.
Not good at all. In hindsight I suppose it was a bit odd to ask you guys to predict the future. Thanks.

In a way I kind of hoped one of you'd point to some regenerative process in the body and say "it'll always be temporary" or something.

Last edited:
Each hypoglycemic episode can be the same as a mini-seizure. There's what we call a post ictal period after each one....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back