[N/A] How do you reject a dog's advances? (long)

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
Question:
How do I prevent dogs from attempting to mount me?

Background:
I was debating whether or not to ask this but here goes. In my spare time I provide my services to several people at their homes (for $$ of course) and in doing so I make a good attempt to be friendly and professional. However one of my clients has a dog that more less resides in the room I where I was servicing the client's hardware.

Long story short over the time it took me to fix it the dog came up to me so I petted him briefly and continued my work. A few moments later the dog was trying to jump all over me. With the client in the other part of the house I decided ignore the behavior assuming he'd tire and lay down or something as I became very engaged in my work. As I sit there working I ignore the my left arm that the dog is grabbing for a while until I look over and see him trying to get rather "frisky" with my arm.

I pull back wondering how'd I explain that if the client was to walk in. For the next hour I spent working I was tempted to try some stuff from the Dog Whisperer which is basically poking the dog while saying "tsst!" and project calm assertive energy. However I like having fingers and was pretty sure the dog would nip (non-maliciously?) at my fingers.

Considering that this client is a repeat customer that's likely to call me many more times in the future I'd like to be prepared. I really doubt I can tell her that her dog really really likes me.

And yes, I was actually wearing AXE deodorant. :hairraise:

Last edited:
Question:
How do prevent dogs from attempting to mount me?

Background:
I was debating whether or not to ask this but here goes. I my spare time I provide my services to several people at their homes (for $$ of course) and in doing so I make a good attempt to be friendly and professional. However one of my clients has a dog that more less resides in the room I where I was servicing the client's hardware.

Long story short over the time it took me to fix it the dog came up to me so I petted him briefly and continued my work. A few moments later the dog was trying to jump all over me. With the client in the other part of the house I decided ignore the behavior assuming he'd tire and lay down or something as I became very engaged in my work. As I sit there working I ignore the my left arm that the dog is grabbing for a while until I look over and see him trying to get rather "frisky" with my arm.

I pull back wondering how'd I explain that if the client was to walk in. For the next hour I spent working I was tempted to try some stuff from the Dog Whisperer which is basically poking the dog while saying "tsst!" and project calm assertive energy. However I like having fingers and was pretty sure the dog would nip (non-maliciously?) at my fingers.

Considering that this client is a repeat customer that's likely to call me many more times in the future I'd like to be prepared. I really doubt I can tell her that her dog really really likes me.

And yes, I was actually wearing AXE deodorant. :hairraise:

Piper used to try to mount my arm. Its not a sexual thing. Its a dominance thing. You've got 2 choices:

1) Find a way to dominate
2) Pleasure the dog. It'll stop when its done.

I think the first is the best choice ;)

Question:
How do prevent dogs from attempting to mount me?

Use alpha cues, pet using a downward motion, even lay them down and pet their belly and throat whil their upside down on the ground. If tha doesn't work, give him a wank....

1) Find a way to dominate
2) Pleasure the dog. It'll stop when its done.

I think the first is the best choice ;)

I'm pretty sure the second choice is frowned upon in at least 30 states.

Just don't try and alpha roll someone else's dog in his own home... the dog ain't likely to go for it, and if you didn't like the idea of "finger nips" you certainly won't like the result from this.

Assuming it's not a Yorkie or something. Then you just pick it up and toss it in the other room and close the door. ;)

Just don't try and alpha roll someone else's dog in his own home... the dog ain't likely to go for it, and if you didn't like the idea of "finger nips" you certainly won't like the result from this.

And to think, I was actually thinking doing the "hand over the snout" thing to dominate in addition to Henning's suggestions. I'll just be careful and with any luck if it goes bad he's go for an arm or leg instead of a hand.

So, dogs usually take only one or two alphas (the owner & the cat)? Cause he seemed somewhat submissive around her and somewhat calm around the cat. The cat seems to rule ever dog that's been in that house. In any event, I guess I'll just avoid the issue and keep find a reason to keep her in the room or encourage the cat to hang around.

I'm pretty sure the second choice is frowned upon in at least 30 states.
But you are in California! There probably is a citizens group promoting choice number 2 and they hold meetings in your local community center! :yes::D:D:target::target::D:D:yes:

I found that playing the dominant alpha dog helps to stop that. Try gentle pushing the dog's nose to the ground, grabbing, but not chocking, it's neck like a dog would be biting it help.

Also stop wearing La Pooch Dog perfume ;)

You just need to explain to the dog that you like him, but not in that way... which isn't to say he's not an attractive dog.
:D

I agree it's a dominance thing: a friend of mine had a female poodle/terrier mix that used to routinely "shag" things on the floor (a gym bag or handbag, that sort of thing). She never did it to people or other dogs, though. I guess sometimes she felt insecure and decided to dominate something to boost her doggie ego. It was an amusing spectacle whenever it happened!! :D

My Peg used to very rarely try to "mount" people's legs when she was much younger... only when they were guests at my place; never outside the house. I didn't know at the time that it was a dominance gesture- certainly wouldn't have guessed that females did this also!!
She always stopped on my command, but the "victim" would try in vain to stop her until I arrived on the scene to assist.

It's not too surprising that this dog did not immediately relent when you tried to assert dominance... it can take a while, especially when you are an outsider on the dog's home turf.

Maybe you can bring a plush toy or something on your rounds and let this dog "get busy" with that while you do your work... :D

I keep reading this thread title and picturing it being associated with Scott's dating habits.

Back