(N/A) Handgun shopping

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
I finally got clearance from SWMBO to get back into target shooting. Once upon a time, I used to play around with a lot of rimfire .22 target rifles and handguns but I'd like to get into something with a little more power/range.

I'm still interested in the smaller calibers, however, but I'd like to stay on the centerfire side of the ammunition choices.

I've looked at and tested the FN FiveSeveN (5.7mm x 28mm) Tactical and liked it. Good range, accurate as heck, and power without the big 'bang'. Pricey but not out of line. Ammunition isn't cheap but word on the street is that Winchester is looking at manufacturing it due to the sudden popularity of the caliber. That should drop the prices a little.

I'm not even sure what other options are available in this market. It's new to me and, quite frankly, the search options are rather overwhelming to the point of becoming "noise".

Any recommendations for small caliber centerfire options in handguns? Preferably in the .223/5.7 to .270/7mm range?

I've looked at and tested the FN FiveSeveN (5.7mm x 28mm) Tactical and liked it. Good range, accurate as heck, and power without the big 'bang'. Pricey but not out of line. Ammunition isn't cheap but word on the street is that Winchester is looking at manufacturing it due to the sudden popularity of the caliber. That should drop the prices a little.

I'm not even sure what other options are available in this market. It's new to me and, quite frankly, the search options are rather overwhelming to the point of becoming "noise".

Any recommendations for small caliber centerfire options in handguns? Preferably in the .223/5.7 to .270/7mm range?

Hmmm, interesting. Hadn't thought in those caliber lines much either. Typically in that size I'm just looking at used $20 .25 autos to carry. I imagine that the FN you looked at was a quality weapon as have been all the Browning/FN arms I have dealt with. I take it you are looking for a competion weapon rather than a sidearm?

I'v always like the 22 super Bee.

Hmmm, interesting. Hadn't thought in those caliber lines much either. Typically in that size I'm just looking at used $20 .25 autos to carry. I imagine that the FN you looked at was a quality weapon as have been all the Browning/FN arms I have dealt with. I take it you are looking for a competion weapon rather than a sidearm?

Competition quality but not necessarily going into shooting as a serious competitive endeavor. But yes, I'm looking at that level of shooting.

One nice thing about the FiveSeveN (that's actually the way they market it, with the caps) is that it has the accuracy for competition but power and capacity for sidearm use. It's been referred to as a "mini-223" round, ala AR-15 and M-16. Not quite the same ft/lbs behind it but a scaled down version of it.

A lot of law enforcement/military units are moving toward the ammunition in the FiveSeveN's bigger brother, the PS90 "Bullpup". The tactical version is full automatic with a very short barrel for close quarters/urban warfare use. My friend who introduced me to the handgun a few weeks ago just got the PS90 for Christmas.

If you're really trying to get the most bang for your buck, save all your initial brasses and consider a good reloading system. They're quite satisfying to use actually and I found that refridgerating the slugs in a freezer to reduce diameter just prior to seating makes for a smoother seat into the higher temped brass.

If you're really trying to get the most bang for your buck, save all your initial brasses and consider a good reloading system. They're quite satisfying to use actually and I found that refridgerating the slugs in a freezer to reduce diameter just prior to seating makes for a smoother seat into the higher temped brass.

Another friend of mine just picked up the same handgun and is REALLY big into reloading. He mentioned that he's looking for the die and some other pieces to do this. I guess it's not easy to find, at least through his normal suppliers.

Another friend of mine just picked up the same handgun and is REALLY big into reloading. He mentioned that he's looking for the die and some other pieces to do this. I guess it's not easy to find, at least through his normal suppliers.

I don't know much about those calibers you're looking at, could certainly be difficult.
I always seem to stick with common ones like WIN .358 & .300MAG, 30-30 and .357 & .44MAG and .22s.

I bought me one of these last month. Its the coolest thing.

http://makarov.com/drozd/

Ain't it the cutest thing???

~200 bucks at one of the local gun shops. He says he sells out every shipment he gets in. It'll make a nice, non lethal deer deterrent (danged things are always eating my tomatoes) and hopefully it will also keep the neighbors pit bull off my property. Since the Humane society won't do a damned thing about it......grrrrrr.......

I bought me one of these last month. Its the coolest thing.

http://makarov.com/drozd/

Ain't it the cutest thing???

~200 bucks at one of the local gun shops. He says he sells out every shipment he gets in. It'll make a nice, non lethal deer deterrent (danged things are always eating my tomatoes) and hopefully it will also keep the neighbors pit bull off my property. Since the Humane society won't do a damned thing about it......grrrrrr.......

I don't know about 'cute', but if it will deter the deer that eat everything in sight in my wife's flower garden I just might have to print out that page and go visit the local gun emporium. ;)

Well Brian I can't help with the caliber you asked about but I'm a Handgunner (own 14) everything from 22 to 41 Mag in revolver, and 22 to 45 in semi auto. My favorite cals. are 380 auto ,9 MM,and 45 in auto and 22 and 41 in revolver, Plus if you get serious your going to Reload and that helps with price of ammo.
Dave G

Last edited:
Plus if you get serious your going to Reload and that helps with price of ammo.
Dave G

Dave, do you reload .45 auto? The reason I ask is because the owners manual for my recently purchased Kimber recommends against using reloads in it.

Dave, do you reload .45 auto? The reason I ask is because the owners manual for my recently purchased Kimber recommends against using reloads in it.

Why did they do that? I was under the impression that reloads were basically the same as pre-loaded ammo. Are they afraid the cases are more prone to rupture and that could do damage tot he gun?

Why did they do that? I was under the impression that reloads were basically the same as pre-loaded ammo. Are they afraid the cases are more prone to rupture and that could do damage tot he gun?

I was assuming it was just a liability disclaimer kinda thing. I suspect that the "range" ammo I buy are reloads. I've had several feed jams using the stuff, but never with brand name (Winchester) ammo.

I was assuming it was just a liability disclaimer kinda thing. I suspect that the "range" ammo I buy are reloads. I've had several feed jams using the stuff, but never with brand name (Winchester) ammo.

Probably. BTW I heard, I have no proof of this, that feed jams can be avoided if you tumble the cartridge cases clean before reloading.

I thought about that a bit and wondered why cleaning them would help when just sitting around even new cases would corrode up a bit. Seems to me a simple wipe would do the same.

The last time I was shooting reloads it was in a .357 revolver so no feed issues.

I don't know about 'cute', but if it will deter the deer that eat everything in sight in my wife's flower garden I just might have to print out that page and go visit the local gun emporium. ;)

Well, I figure it should work better than my last attempts at shooing them away. Yelling didn't work, flapping my arms and jumping up and down didn't work, throwing small rocks at them didn't work either. I had to walk down into the garden and get within about 5 feet of the stupid things and THEN yell, flap my arms, jump up and down and throw small rocks. It was kinda frightening being that close to a four point buck that looked about the size of my Kubota. Them antlers looked really.......pointy..... :)

I thought about that a bit and wondered why cleaning them would help when just sitting around even new cases would corrode up a bit. Seems to me a simple wipe would do the same.
I may have to try that, but I'll have to purchase ammo after firing on the range. I have noticed that the Winchester ammo (brass and steel cases) seems to much slicker than the range ammo. Turns out though, that Winchester 230 gr FMJ is actually cheaper than the ammo I buy at the range. The 230 gr SXT JHP's are kinda pricey though.

The last time I was shooting reloads it was in a .357 revolver so no feed issues.
I think my next purchase is going to be a revolver. Haven't yet decided what though.

True, but all of the reviews I've read on the Kimber says it fires reloads just fine.

Yeah, I've read the same thing. Since I have pretty much made myself a semi-permanent fixture at the range, I may have to start reloading. Haven't done that in many years after selling my press and dies, so it'll be a start from scratch thing again.

ahhhrighht! Let's have some reviews, comments, likes and dislikes on reloading presses! I want to get back into reloading brass as well, after many years away. Been looking at the Rock Chucker press off and on ...

I still regularly reload 12g shotgun shells, but have a bunch of .308 and .45 brass that needs restuffing ...

That's a good idea Greg. I haven't done any reloading in a very long time. I have a few implements left over, but no press, dies, scales, etc. Do you use powder loading system? If so, are the measurements consistent? I was reloading for centerfire rifle ammo, and was measuring each charge.

Brian, are you ok with the thread hijack, or should I start another?

Frank, last time I reloaded centerfire ammo, the only way to do it was measure each charge of powder on the balance scale and load each case manually. I see there's a ton of new stuff out there now ...

Brian, are you ok with the thread hijack, or should I start another?

Frank, last time I reloaded centerfire ammo, the only way to do it was measure each charge of powder on the balance scale and load each case manually. I see there's a ton of new stuff out there now ...

Nah, I got what I needed. I'm just along for the ride now. ;)

Well Frank i shoot a Model 1911 Colt and i reload everything,wish i could figure out how to reload 22s. As far as the Kimber dont know much about them, But everyone i know reloads, dont know if any of them have a Kimber. The biggest problem with reloading autos is getting the lenght right, that where you run into Jamming problems. Hope this helps
Dave G.

Dave,
What press are you using? How do you like it? What would you buy now, considering what you currently use?
Greg

Back