N/A Got My Rocks Off - - -

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
- - - the top of my hill, Part II. After having built a 70' New England stone wall last year, all supplies having come from two large piles of rocks/ledge that had been blasted out of this property about 30 years ago I'm almost finished with an outcropping from the long wall. When finished I'll have about 6 or 7 yards of topsoil hauled in and dumped on the 275 sq. ft. I spaded to a depth of about 12"(and recovered a lot more rocks). (If I never see another rock - - - - - - -)

Several long/deep/wide flat stones must have weighed 200 lbs. or more. I managed to bring them down the hill with the two-wheeled hand truck. A slalom all the way down the hill was necessary to control speed; otherwise the sucker would have just taken off, with or without me behind it. I think it's almost finished; take my advice: lift with your legs, not your back. A lot of them were too heavy to lift onto the tail gate of the truck; hence, a lot of trips with the hand truck. And the acorns have been falling so fast I thought the squirrels were up there throwing them at me.

HR

Attachments

• Garden Wall_1.jpg
    Garden Wall_1.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Garden Wall_2.jpg
    Garden Wall_2.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Garden Wall_3.jpg
    Garden Wall_3.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 12
  • Garden Wall_4.jpg
    Garden Wall_4.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 27
Now you're going to decide that you want to straighten that driveway and take out that terraced garden! :)

(Looks nice, BTW!)

I don't have my driveway plowed of snow because I have an old Gravely tractor/snow blower(walk-behind type) that does a terrific job. However, last winter we had a doozy of a storm and I knew I'd never make it up the access road hill to my driveway. A guy who was clearing a lot at the bottom of the hill offered to drive me up the hill and in doing so dropped his plow blade. When he got to my driveway(which had the start of the garden wall) he said, "I'd rather plow a three acre lot than a narrow driveway" as he noted the narrow portion at the entrance to the drive.

HR

Back