N/A Fire Shelter deployment pics

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
Just got these today. At the end of June, 10 Forest Firefighters were overrun by a fire and had to deploy their shelters. They all survivied. These picture were taken by crew members. I don't think I would be sticking the camera out from under the shelter but one did. From the first picture to the burnover was 10-15 minutes. Can you see why they call them 'shake 'n' bakes'?

Eric

Attachments

• blowup.jpg
    blowup.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Fireshelter1.jpg
    Fireshelter1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 50
  • fireshelter2.jpg
    fireshelter2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 47
ejensen said:
Just got these today. At the end of June, 10 Forest Firefighters were overrun by a fire and had to deploy their shelters. They all survivied. These picture were taken by crew members. I don't think I would be sticking the camera out from under the shelter but one did. From the first picture to the burnover was 10-15 minutes. Can you see why they call them 'shake 'n' bakes'?

Eric

They caught and prosecuted that firefighter that was setting fires in CA so he could get more overtime pay, where 4 firefighters died, I just heard.

Dave Krall CFII said:
They caught and prosecuted that firefighter that was setting fires in CA so he could get more overtime pay, where 4 firefighters died, I just heard.

Fantastic, hadn't heard they caught anyone. That firefighter business happens way more than it should.

The fire I posted was in Wyoming, natual causes.

ejensen said:

Eric
After seeing those pictures only one word come's to mind. WOW. God Bless the firefighter's who are brave enough to work like that.

Regards Mike

AdamZ said:
I always wondered how they can determine its Arson with such a big fire.

Just like in building, wildland fire investigation has a fair amount of science and detective work. The origin usually isn't as hot as later so much of the ash is still intact. Grass falls toward the fire. Accelerante cause different char patterns. Crews are trained to write vehicle and people descriptions down on the way in. I took some courses years ago and was a trainee on a couple fires but couldn't purse it. Fasinating but dirty work.

No doubt those guys/gals are brave. Fire is, like many of Mother Nature's babies, a scary and powerful force. Those of us who don't deal with such forces on an every day basis tend to discount just how powerful they are. Hats off to any smokejumper/firefighter!!

ejensen said:

Eric

I mountain bike with a guy who is a on-call jumper. He lives out here and flies out west on call. Cajones like you wouldn't believe, and a sense of honor like no other. He quips: "When I went to training, the only required equipment was two big stones and an even bigger blankie, because our instructors had us crying for Mommy more than a few times"

Seriously brutal work. Great, but eerie, pics Eric.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back