sierra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sierra
powers of observation (or logs)

sierra said:

The spellchecker's "powers of observation" in the last image could stand some improvement. Here's my re-write of the text accompanying the image:

"There are five grammatical or typographical errors in this text. Can you find them all? Average, educated people can find all of them. If you find four or less, please attend a sixth-grade English class immediately."

More than you wanted to know:

Seeing faces like this is what is behind the conspiracy of the "The face on Mars" and the "miracles" of seeing Jesus or Mary in a tortilla, the face on the grilled cheese sandwich sold on eBay and such. We just had one in Chicago where Mary showed up in a salt runoff stain in an expressway underpass. Then a punk painted over the stain.

This tendency is known as pareidolia, a neurological/psychological phenomenon by which the brain interprets vague images as specific ones. These are known as simulacra (DeAngelis 1999; Novella 2001). Often the discerned image is a face because—as Carl Sagan (1995, 47) explained, “As soon as the infant can see, it recognizes faces, and we now know that this skill is hardwired to our brains.” As Sagan observed (1995, 46):

The most common image is the Man in the Moon. Of course, it doesn’t really look like a man. Its features are lopsided, warped, drooping. There’s a beefsteak or something over the left eye. And what expression does the mouth convey? An “O” of surprise? A hint of sadness, even lamentation? Doleful recognition of the traits of life on Earth? Certainly the face is too round. The ears are missing. I guess he’s bald on top. Nevertheless, every time I look at it, I see a human face.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2004-11/i-files.html

Last edited:
Ryan Ferguson said:
The spellchecker's "powers of observation" in the last image could stand some improvement. ...

Ryan,

blow me. someone else sent me the pics, they are quite fun, get a life, move on.

Frank Browne said:
Are there bonus points for finding eleven? :confused:

Maybe I have drain bammage or something tonight but I'm not seeing the one on the right side circled in red. I can sort of see one there but it's weird looking - kind of a cyclopes-alien-clown looking thing especially after zooming in on it.

If that is one, I see 12 total. There's an easy one just behind the cowboy above the rear of the white horse.

Bonus points for 12 out of 11?

fgcason said:
Maybe I have drain bammage or something tonight but I'm not seeing the one on the right side circled in red. I can sort of see one there but it's weird looking - kind of a cyclopes-alien-clown looking thing especially after zooming in on it.

If that is one, I see 12 total. There's an easy one just behind the cowboy above the rear of the white horse.

Bonus points for 12 out of 11?

There are two faces no one yet has mentioned.

Well and truly the first time I have read a post where someone says, "blow me."

Irony being what it is, I almost always find that, when one grandly proposes to correct someone else's grammar, one nearly always steps into the line of fire oneself. So to speak.

The mirror can deal harshly.

silver-eagle said:
Poor horsey. Why the long face?

Is the first line of that, "A horse walks into a bar" ? :)

In the early internet days I would be tempted to offer a friendly correction on spelling or some such... til you get to thinking about it - From That Point On, You Yourself Will Have To Spell Everything Perfectly!! Yikes!
Knowing how imperfect I am, that's going to lead to nowhere good. So I try not to do it, e-slap me if I do, OK? :rofl:

Ryan Ferguson said:
The spellchecker's "powers of observation" in the last image could stand some improvement. Here's my re-write of the text accompanying the image:

"There are five grammatical or typographical errors in this text. Can you find them all? Average, educated people can find all of them. If you find four or less, please attend a sixth-grade English class immediately."

Ryan,

Given the direction this thread took, particularly the post about how correcting someone's grammar puts one in the line of fire, I can't resist (hey, I'm a professor--it's genetic) pointing out that you misused the word "less". If you're going to be a purist, it should be "If you find four or fewer...". "Less" would be used if you were talking about nondiscrete quantities, say, a cup of sugar, as in, "If you find less than a cup of sugar..". "Fewer" is used for discrete entities, such as grammatical errors or peas in a pod.

You (and I) may step out of the line of fire now. Further, I disclaim all responsibility for typos made on web forums. :goofy:

Judy

You (and I) may step out of the line of fire now. Further, I disclaim all responsibility for typos made on web forums. :goofy:

Judy

Good catch, Judy! :)

Eamon said:
HUmm correcting someone's speeliing might not bee all that funn either.. But wee have had thiss conversattionn beforee :)

Whomm decide it civlile to correect someonees speeling on a chat board?

Is this English 101? :dunno:

You spelled Chaat wrong.

Michael

Eamon said:
HUmm correcting someone's speeliing might not bee all that funn either.. But wee have had thiss conversattionn beforee :)

Whomm decide it civlile to correect someonees speeling on a chat board?

Is this English 101? :dunno:

I didn't see any part of Ryan's comment as pointed at Sierra, but rather at the person who put the picture together.

Sierra's reply back was pointed at Ryan and it was uncivil as KP pointed out.

rsleeds said:
I didn't see any part of Ryan's comment as pointed at Sierra, but rather at the person who put the picture together.

Sierra's reply back was pointed at Ryan and it was uncivil as KP pointed out.

So, lets say you are at the front of the room at a seminar giving a speech on Microbes with a slide show. One of the slides has a word misspelled.

Is it not rude for someone to stand up & point it out when the whole room knew what the word meant & had no problem understanding the subject matter?

Does it matter if the author of the slide is or isn't the presenter?

Eamon said:
So, lets say you are at the front of the room at a seminar giving a speech on Microbes with a slide show. One of the slides has a word misspelled.

Is it not rude for someone to stand up & point it out when the whole room knew what the word meant & had no problem understanding the subject matter?
Yes, it might be rude. It depends on the "rules of conduct" established for that class. This is an internet forum. Rule #1: Play nice!

I have gone up to the presenter after the class and pointed out errors, and in each case the presenter was very glad to know. He is trying to present professionally and anything that tends to make him look less than professional is welcome, if done politely and in a discreet way.

The latest example was even aviation rated: The acronym CFIT was defined as "continued flight into terrain". In fact the correct "controlled...." fit the arguement he was making even better.

-Skip

Ryan Ferguson said:
Good catch, Judy! :)

My BIL is a traveling lecturer. One of those folks that companies pay to do seminars for employees. One of his topics is, well, essentially high school English and grammar. I am uncomfortable in his presence for this and other unrelated other reasons. Only if you get people like this drunk can you relax and revert to conversational language :yes:

Judy is different. One can feel comfortable around her any time. Especially when the topic is flying :) I know S and feel comfortable around her even sober. I'll bet we are all that way in real life.

Eamon said:

Is it rude? Or is it simply unprofessional on the part of the presenter? Does it reflect poorly on the presenter that he/she failed to proofread (or have the slide spell checked)? By your logic, if a presenter presents facts in error, it would be rude to correct the presenter even if we knew (or thought we knew) the intent. And if that is the case, a lot of folks need to back off from the President.:D Y'know what I mean Eammon?:D

On the internet you might allow some slack for another reason. Not everyone you're dealing with is a native in English. I suspect that whoever wrote the text on the picture is one of those.

We learn after a while that we get TERRIFIC products like Knoppix (Germany) from all of the world, so it's good be to tolerant.

I just sent some email feedback on a good looking Palm application launcher to "Boris" who I'm sure is not living in California. I wondered if I could make the message easy enough to understand, but at some point you figure he has time to use a dictionary or whatever.

Last edited:
mikea said:
Not everyone you're dealing with is a native in English. I suspect that whoever wrote the text on the picture is one of those.

WOW Mike, you are extremely observer.

You hit the nail on the head

I fell REALLY sorry for anyone that has to learn this Horrible language as a second one.

Eamon said:

Whether it would be rude to point it out in the middle of a presentation would depend on the circumstances. But if the presenter told the person what Sierra told Ryan (regardless of the circumstances), then the presenter is the rude 100% of the time.

rsleeds said:
Whether it would be rude to point it out in the middle of a presentation would depend on the circumstances. But if the presenter told the person what Sierra told Ryan (regardless of the circumstances), then the presenter is the rude 100% of the time.

That is what is so wounderfull in the world. You get what you give :)

That is the only point I was trying to make :)

:blowingkisses:ss:

Speaking of being blown.............. Pic attatched

Eamon said:
That is what is so wounderfull in the world. You get what you give :)

That is the only point I was trying to make :)

:blowingkisses:ss:

Speaking of being blown.............. Pic attatched

Great picture - good day for a little crosswind training :D

sierra said:

Cool PIX, Thanks...

I found about fifteen well defined faces before I quit my ultra keen observatorying.

Back