N/A F1 Season starts next week!

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
So, any Formula 1 fans out there? I know there are a lot of oval circuit fans. I can't explain it, but I absolutely love F1. No passing, except during pitstops, the drivers are mostly Euro-preeners, budget means everything so only about 4-5 cars have a prayer in any/every race. Still, they race in the rain, the technology is amazing, and the courses (well, some of them) are gems. Spa, Monza, Monaco, Giles Villeneuve.... beautiful! Plus those turn 1 smashups on the start are always fun to watch.

First race is next weekend in Australia. I can't wait.

i prefer NASCAR. rubbing is racing.

i prefer NASCAR. rubbing is racing.

NASCAR is only good at Watkins Glen and Sonoma, IMO. F1, MotoGP, and WRC are much better overall (as a season), at least.

It's fun to watch guys who REALLY know how to drive at the road tracks...

I remember watching Earnhardt, Jr try and go three-wide into the hairpin at Sonoma. What the hell was he thinking?! Damn oval trackers :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

strangely enough, i find road courses boring.

Bristol or Martinsville, now thats racing.

Look what Montoya did in Mexico last week. Tore through the field like lightning (and gave a little spin move to Pruett while he was at it.)

Emerson Fitapaldi vrrooomm vrooomm. I love going to the Collegeville Grand Prix.

Well i for one like road courses , but then i am partial, i camplianed a GT 2 Datsun 280Z for 3 seasons. Ran the Glen (watkins) Summit Point, Pocano's,Mid-Ohio,Mid-Atlanta. I also Like ovals worked on MANY Sprint Cars and Super Sportsmen in the Harrisburg Area. I also Raced Motrocycles on both Road Courses and Dirt Tracks.
How that for ENJOYING RACING.
Dave G.

Yup, that's enjoying racing. I got to spend about 40mins in a Winston Cup car. I have the utmost respect for the physical fitness of those drivers. That baby was a beast. I couldn't sleep for three days after, I was still so wired on the adrenaline.

Big formula 1 fan here.

Like you said, first of all, the machines are incredible. The top cars in the series are worth several million dollars. The electronic systems are amazing, and so is the design. The 05 cars had normally aspirated V10 engines with less than 3 liters of displacement and produce well over 800hp while redlining at 19,000 rpm. They now are using smaller V8s putting out around 700hp.

I like road courses because it pushes man and machines through all the envelopes. Top speed in straightaways, hard braking, high G turns, etc.

I much prefer road courses (although the Indy 500 is worth the price of admission).

NASCAR? No thanks. Go fast, turn left, hurry back. Yawn.

I have a hard time finding an F1 driver I like, so it's difficult for me to get really into the races. The technology and driving skill is beyond anything any NASCAR campaign can imagine.

500 GP is probably my favorite racing to watch. Valentino Rossi is the man.

edit: How could I forget - Dakar and Baja.

Last edited:
Well i for one like road courses , but then i am partial, i camplianed a GT 2 Datsun 280Z for 3 seasons. Ran the Glen (watkins) Summit Point, Pocano's,Mid-Ohio,Mid-Atlanta. I also Like ovals worked on MANY Sprint Cars and Super Sportsmen in the Harrisburg Area. I also Raced Motrocycles on both Road Courses and Dirt Tracks.
How that for ENJOYING RACING.
Dave G.
Road courses for me. Love SCCA racing - frequently done on a shoestring budget just for the love of racing. Spent lots of time at Nelson Ledges and Mid Ohio in the late 70's (the only good part about to living in Ohio IMHO) and helped the Grand Turismo Jaguar team in the pits on several occasions. Even got to park my E-Type in the pits with them.

Ah, now that was the life.

Yeah, I can't really get behind any of the drivers. My daughter liked Schumi, but I think she liked the red car and the fact he won. Scott Speed seems like a nice kid but doesn't have the proverbial snowball's chance. I kind of liked Juan Pablo, just because he's so refreshingly straightforward. That, and he clearly hated Schumacher. Made for fun interviews and exciting on-track moves.

I agree, SCCA racing is great to watch. I really like WRC too - them fellas are nUTZ!

when is Monaco? It's in May, but when? I'll be in Italy and not far from there in May, that is one race I'd like to see for sure. I came thisclose to seeing the one in Monza just before 911. We were in the south of France and again, it wouldn't have been a stretch to head over.

AMA Superbikes for me. Years ago I used to go to the 24hrs at Daytona. Less for the racing, than for the giant, weekend long, get torqued out of our gourds party in the infield. B)B)

Monaco is May 27 this year. I'd be mighty jealous of you!!! I've been on the streets of Monaco, and Le Mans, but in a '67 VW Microbus. Not quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite the same.

Friend of mine drove the 24 Daytona this year. Got good coverage from the Speedvision guys (oops, Speed TV).

Last edited:
Alas, May 27 I will be on a flight home from Rome. C'est dommage. although you've given me a mighty fine idea. I have friends who are very much into car racing (they are married and met at the Porsche Club - they both race Porsches) and I know we'd have a grand time at Monaco. Maybe '09? (anyone else in?)

'09 would be very cool - directly after Monaco, head up to Normandy for the 65th anniversary of D-Day. (which I do plan to do with a history buff friend of mine anyway...)

actually some of the best racing I have enjoyed is 360 Sprints on 1/2 mile dirt track. World of Outlaws is OK too, although Ive never made it down to Knoxville for the Nationals.

NASCAR is only good at Watkins Glen and Sonoma, IMO. F1, MotoGP, and WRC are much better overall (as a season), at least.

It's fun to watch guys who REALLY know how to drive at the road tracks...

I remember watching Earnhardt, Jr try and go three-wide into the hairpin at Sonoma. What the hell was he thinking?! Damn oval trackers :)
Andrew, bite your tongue! Nothing rocks better than NASCAR races at short tracks!

I will blow off flying to catch Bristol any time! Bristol and Martinsville ROCK! And, they keep building those monstrosities around the country.

Notice the motto under the Bristol name! :D

nascar7.gif
nascar8.gif

So, any Formula 1 fans out there?

Absolutely. 7 days and 14 hrs until Australia.

F1 has long been my favorite. One of my favorite movies is Grand Prix
with James Garner. Wish I could find a DVD of it. I have the sound
track on vinyl. I saw the theater version in 1965 and was hooked for life.

I'm hopeful Alonso does well with McLaren. He's been fun to watch and wow
is he good. My all time favorite driver is Senna. May 1, 1994 was definitely the biggest bummer of my F1 watching.

RT

Look what Montoya did in Mexico last week. Tore through the field like lightning (and gave a little spin move to Pruett while he was at it.)

Montoya was awesome. That little move on Pruett was a little agressive
maybe. He'd have gotten him anyway. But boy was he working the track.
Was fun to watch.

My dad was in Bologna that weekend, just a few miles from the track. Of course, he didn't know about the race, not being a fan, but he sure found out what happened soon enough. What a tragedy.

I'll be interested to see how Raikkonen does at Ferrari. It'll also be fun to watch how Webber and Coulthard co-exist at Red Bull. I love those team dramas!

Just a few more days to go!!!

I remember at the time having a passing crush on one of the drivers - he was Italian (or part Italian) and was the darling of the races back in 2001-2002? I cannot remember his name! dang it. Maybe Italian-German?

Back