Canon 20D
Tamron 28-75/f2.8
Canon EF-S 10-22/f3.5-4.5
Canon EF 70-200/f2.8L IS
Canon 2X MkII
Canon Speedlite 580EX
Sekonic L558R lightmeter

A few questions:

1. I'm looking at longer lenses, preferably in the 400-500mm range. I like the versatility of zooms but have heard very nice things regarding speed and sharpness on primes (ie non-zoom). It appears my choices (given my budget) are the Canon 100-400mm zoom, the Canon 400/f5.6L, or the Sigma 50-500mm (there is also the 170-500 but I haven't seen good things about it). The 100-400 is a favorite among Canon fans but I've heard good things about the 400/5.6L and the Sigma. Any recommendations?

2. Any recommendations on a book that specifically addresses lightmeters and how to use them? The Sekonic manual is rather light on techinque. Another book I picked up, "Understanding Light" (author escapes me at the moment), is good about light and technique...but nothing regarding lightmeters and how to utilize them.

Thanks for any input!

Adam Pirkle said:
I've got a question for you... I have the Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM, and I've been thinking about selling it and picking up either the EF-S 10-22 or the EF 17-40 f/4. Just curious if you had any thoughts about tradeoffs between those two lenses, given that they're almost exactly the same price.
Which camera are you using? EF-S lenses are limited to a few Canon models. They're specifically designed for the 1.6 crop factor sensors (APS-C size).

Adam Pirkle said:
I'm using the 300D (digital rebel body). Hoping to upgrade to a 20D, or its successor, one of these days.
That would work with the EF-S lineup. Same with the 20D and its recent successor, the 30D (just came out a few weeks ago but nothing in the distribution channel yet).

I like the 10-22 but have no comparison to the 17-40 or even your 20mm. Obviously, the zoom has its flexibilty. From what little I've used it so far (just picked it up a month ago), I haven't seen any sharpness issues, even at the edges. There is distortion in the 10-14mm range but that occurs on any wide angle outside the T/S or 'special' categories.

When the 30D hits the stores, you might PM me about my 20D. Could be for sale at that point. ;)

The Canon 100-400mm IS is a really nice lens. When need be, I can actually hand hold it even at 400mm!

The tradeoff is that zooms tend to be heavier and generally have a smaller effective aperture, but then again you don't have to tote around a bunch of lenses.

Back