N/A Chemincal Engineer Graduation

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
Figure there is at least a couple out there in POA land.

My Daughter-in-law graduates Friday with her BS in Chemical Engineering and have NO clue what to get her that would be relevant.
That stuff is way over my head. LOL

Have asked her and all I get is "I don't know" so looking for some ideas.

Membership in the American Chemical Society (or AIChE)?

Does she have a job lined up? If not, maybe pay for (or contribute to) a trip to the ACS meeting in August- they always have a job fair. It's in Philadelphia this time.

A nice card and $$$ will almost always be relevant...

Blasting caps and det-cord :rofl:

If she has to go interviewing, get her a 10-pack of club-passes for whatever main airline she uses. Or donate a bunch miles to her account if you have any. Makes all the difference if you can upgrade to business.

Last edited:
I am a recovering chemical engineer, every single one I met in college was a pyromaniac.

Wouldn't that be "over-enthusiastic about exothermic reactions" in today's gentlespeak?

We shared a building with the chemEs and I thought they were just a little too enamored with physical chemistry...

Did you pay for your daughters college?

May she should get you a card...

j/k Congrats on the daughter's graduation!

Actually, the OP should be hugely proud. A couple years ago I met the woman Chemical Engineering student here. The OP's daughter-in-law is a real trailblazer. Women have done very well in every field of endeavor except hard science and engineering. Having a woman Chem E in the family is both unusual and something of which to be proud.

I think she'll do well, and tell her congratulations!

Probably a card and a nice family dinner to celebrate would be nice.

--
--

PS - if you do think of a nice gift idea, let me know. My daughter graduates engineering school next year!

When I was looking for a job, there were "resume writers" package deals for a hundred bucks or maybe it was 200. They have a long phone call with you and help you write a winning resume. It sounds like a scam, I know, but it does help.

Funny thing was, I paid the money (you pay before they call you), and they actually told me mine was OK so I got my money back.

Chemical Engineer checking in.

We had to take classes on distillation. Buy her a nice distilled product. Spirits and AvGas both qualify.

Figure there is at least a couple out there in POA land.

My Daughter-in-law graduates Friday with her BS in Chemical Engineering and have NO clue what to get her that would be relevant.
That stuff is way over my head. LOL

Have asked her and all I get is "I don't know" so looking for some ideas.

Well, if you want something fun that may be ChemE related, head on over to thinkgeek.com.

Other than that... I got nuttin'. :dunno:

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts.
We are VERY proud of her. Took her 6 years total to get this far, but she stuck with it.
Did her first year of college at the local/community college, then transferred to MU. Since she is also a mother, and has a job, she was only able to go part time for the next 3 years. Then she took full loads the last two years while still doing the above. Worked harder than me.

I ordered her the graduation ring she wanted and have about decided to get her a NICE leather briefcase/laptop bag. Figured she would be able to use that. We got her a new laptop for her birthday in January, so she doesn't need one of those. LOL

Flying lessons.

/thread.

We are VERY proud of her. Took her 6 years total to get this far, but she stuck with it.
Did her first year of college at the local/community college, then transferred to MU. Since she is also a mother, and has a job, she was only able to go part time for the next 3 years. Then she took full loads the last two years while still doing the above. Worked harder than me.

I ordered her the graduation ring she wanted and have about decided to get her a NICE leather briefcase/laptop bag. Figured she would be able to use that. We got her a new laptop for her birthday in January, so she doesn't need one of those. LOL

When my kids graduated high school, we got them each a nice suitcase. Not that we were trying to tell them something...

Good on her for persevering the way she did. That's a huge, hard earned accomplishment.

(We'll be heading to MST next year for our daughter's graduation.)

6 years to get a four year degree! There must be something wrong with her! And she's going to go work in the Chemical industry? We could wind up with another damn Bopal!

To be explicit, the above is entirely tongue-in-cheek, based on some other threads running loose on the board. Your DIL is my hero, persevering in a trailblazing and extremely difficult course of study despite personal difficulties. If everyone had that kind of stick-to-it attitude, things would be far better in the world.

Six years is the new norm for completing a four year college curriculum if I believe ALL of my friends kids in college these days.

I had 21 credits per semester my freshman year, now it seems 12 is the norm, if that. :rolleyes:

Back