N/A Cat/dog flea/tick treatments

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I adopted a cat a couple months ago and the local humane society was using Frontline Plus. My current vet recommends Vectra. The grocery store I go to has Hartz and a couple other brands plus a house brand and Frontline.

I understand the differences between regular Frontline and the Plus version. That is not the issue.

The issue is why would I pay $65 for three doses of Frontline when I can get three doses of the store brand for $5 or another name brand for similar cost which have 3 doses. The Vectra brand costs $18 per dose.

Other than the actual insecticides used, what is the difference? Seems like the price reflects the marketing.

Want to do what is best for the cat but not sure how to go on this.

David

I adopted a cat a couple months ago and the local humane society was using Frontline Plus. My current vet recommends Vectra. The grocery store I go to has Hartz and a couple other brands plus a house brand and Frontline.

I understand the differences between regular Frontline and the Plus version. That is not the issue.

The issue is why would I pay $65 for three doses of Frontline when I can get three doses of the store brand for $5 or another name brand for similar cost which have 3 doses. The Vectra brand costs $18 per dose.

Other than the actual insecticides used, what is the difference? Seems like the price reflects the marketing.

Want to do what is best for the cat but not sure how to go on this.

David

The active ingredient is Fipronil. That's what your looking for. Like generic drugs it doesn't really matter what brand it is as long as active ingredient is the same as well as percentage of the dosage.

I use the generic fipronil, purchased from Amazon. It seems to work well and is a heck of a lot cheaper than Frontline (which I was using previously).

I use seresto for my dog. 40-50 bucks for an 8 month collar. she has had a couple ticks from running out through the woods, but no fleas. it seems to work well. My vet swears by it.

Back