[n/a] Breakfast Companions - The Eagles Are Back

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
One of the events I look forward to each Fall is the return of eagles to this part of the country. In the ultralight, I've flown over areas so thick with eagles I couldn't't count them all. We had three join us for breakfast this morning. I took these photos from the deck on the back of the house.

Our bird thing in the fall is the departure of the turkey vultures.
Sometimes they swarm, huge circling crowds in the evening, just before departure to Mexico. We miss them as a companion to our landscape and the great job they do at keeping the place tidy.
Funny, soon after they leave the next largest black bird around (the Blackbird?) is very visible. They strut and parade around, mimicing vulture behavior, and generally act as though they are now king of the scavenger world!
Thanks for the morning pics Chip.

Great pics - we've had some eagles in our area for a while now, hanging out at Jordan Lake (a dammed lake). I saw one last year as I was driving through town - the first thing I noticed was the "flying 2x4" profile. I stopped the car and watched for a minute or so and he turned just so... and the sun caught the white head feathers. Just beautiful.

gibbons said:
One of the events I look forward to each Fall is the return of eagles to this part of the country. In the ultralight, I've flown over areas so thick with eagles I couldn't't count them all. We had three join us for breakfast this morning. I took these photos from the deck on the back of the house.

Nice!

They really are majestic birds. When I was in France a couple of years ago I had an opportunity to see some up-close and very personal - Flying right at me, then right over me! Wing touched my head as it flew over. WOW!

http://www.aigles-de-beaucaire.com/pages_UK/mainuk.html

Chip:

We don't get to see many eagles here in the big city. Thanks for sharing these. I envy you being that close to such majestic birds.

Dave

Back