(N/A) Adventure Sport motorcycle

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
Anyone on here have a1200-1300cc Adventure Sport motorcycle?

I'm dreaming of a BMW GS1200-AS or a Triumph Tiger Explorer.

I'm 6'5" and about 225, so I'm wondering how comfortable they are on a long trip. Do they get moved around a lot in wind?

My old bike was a Honda VTX 1800 which was great for my size and it didn't get blown around like a lighter bike.

What do you ride and how do you like it?

I sat on a BMW 1200GS once, and at 5'9 and 160 it was much too big of a bike for me. I could barely stand on my tip toes. Those things are built for guys your size.

If you want a reliable bike get a Super Tenere.......GS1200 has many wiz wheels but does get blown around by the wind a lot, and maintenance is hugely higher. The Tenere is fairly tall so you should fit great on there.

If you want a reliable bike get a Super Tenere.......GS1200 has many wiz wheels but does get blown around by the wind a lot, and maintenance is hugely higher. The Tenere is fairly tall so you should fit great on there.

I just can't stand the front end on those. I do think maintenance would be high on the beemer, plus the dealership network isn't huge.

I had a 2002 BMW GS 1150 once. I am 6'1" and fit comfortably on it and others taller than me were also comfortable. What I didn't like was how the wind hit my upper body. I experimented with an aftermarket windscreen but it only helped a little. I took it on some moderate off road trips and it was just OK. Anything that size will be really heavy. I had to pick it up more than once. I ended up trading it for a RT because most of my riding was a 120 mile round trip commute to work on the freeway. BMW dealers are really good about test rides. Go check out one of the newer ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just can't stand the front end on those. I do think maintenance would be high on the beemer, plus the dealership network isn't huge.

I did most of my own maintenance on my two BMWs for a few years. The boxers are easy to work on and the nearest dealer is almost two hours away. There are a couple of good online resources for BMWs (at least there used to be when I still owned mine)

I don't think maintenance on the Beemer is that bad, and the new wet head engines are pure badass. I've owned a 1200RT, and it's about the lightest, most nimblest bike in that size class. The GS? More nimble, more off road capable, but more top heavy too. People that ride them swear by them. Personally, if I had to go dual sport I'd go with something lighter, like in the F700GS class, not a 1200. Or the KTM equivalent.

To me, a GS is like an F35. It tries to do too much. It's not really a dirt bike, and an RT is a much better road bike. It handles gravel roads better, but it's too heavy and bulky for serious offroad riding. Gimmie a 250 class dirtbike for that.

I have a Suziki DL-1000, and I love it.
With 2 up and 3 full bags it goes like a bat out of hell.
I have the "Power Commander" programmable mod and custom tuned the injection system and ignitionDSCF0393.JPG .
I also have custom built lowers, and progressive springs all around to help get the increased horsepower to the road.

I've got a '14 Ducati Multi Strada 1200; lots to like about all the ADV bikes if you like an upright riding position. Can't really go wrong with any of them, some are more suited for nothing more than a fire road. Others you can take anywhere.

European ADVs command a higher premium. The Super Tenere is a good all-round bike and I almost bought it.

Most important thing is how well the seat fits your a** for all day rides. My longest day has been ~400 miles through CO when we lived there.

Much like a plane, it's a depreciating toy for most owners. It can also be a money suck if you buy new and have the dealer put a ton of accessories in it.

PM if you want more info; too much info to cover in a post.

I don't think maintenance on the Beemer is that bad, and the new wet head engines are pure badass. I've owned a 1200RT, and it's about the lightest, most nimblest bike in that size class. The GS? More nimble, more off road capable, but more top heavy too. People that ride them swear by them. Personally, if I had to go dual sport I'd go with something lighter, like in the F700GS class, not a 1200. Or the KTM equivalent.

To me, a GS is like an F35. It tries to do too much. It's not really a dirt bike, and an RT is a much better road bike. It handles gravel roads better, but it's too heavy and bulky for serious offroad riding. Gimmie a 250 class dirtbike for that.

At one time I had a BMW RT and a Suzuki DRZ 400 that was street legal, but set up primarily for off road. Motorcycles are definitely like airplanes. No one motorcycle can do it all.

My father in law recently test rode a new RT. He will most likely buy it based on his raving review if it. Hopefully he will share.

IMG_0232.JPG I picked up a VTX 1800 with 15000 miles for $3500 last July. So much bike for the money! Love it!
Came with lots of great accessories; Cobra pipes, power comander, Hondaline bags and windshield, Mustang seats and sissy bar. Removed a bunch of fluff for the solo look!

Coincidentally, I just took a deposit today on this:

33572250222_e9a1d72369_z.jpg

Bought new in 2005. Lots of fun.

But now, at 67, I have to realize I don't have the same strength and balance I did when I was younger. It just gradually came to feel too big and heavy.

Probably going to downsize to a Yamaha TW200 for just mild plonking around.

As an aside, my prior adventure bike, a 1990 R100GS/PD:

7176234343_251e45b07f_z.jpg

Coincidentally, I just took a deposit today on this:

33572250222_e9a1d72369_z.jpg

Bought new in 2005. Lots of fun.

But now, at 67, I have to realize I don't have the same strength and balance I did when I was younger. It just gradually came to feel too big and heavy.

Probably going to downsize to a Yamaha TW200 for just mild plonking around.

As an aside, my prior adventure bike, a 1990 R100GS/PD:

7176234343_251e45b07f_z.jpg

Nice KTM. I like those TWs too. Low center of gravity.

Buddy of mine has a R1200GS. He's tall - 6'3" and says the bike is very comfortable for him. For me (5'10"), the big is too tall to flat foot the bike with both feet. Although he loves his R1200GS, it does have its gremlins. The ABS brakes has been giving him a fault for a long time, but braking appears fine. And he had his final drive replaced last year at a cost of almost 3 AMU.

I personally downsized from a Ducati ST3 to a 250cc adventure bike (CSC Zongshen RX3.) honestly, I'm actually having a lot of fun on that bike. I don't super-slab it much since it's only good for 84 mph on a flat road, but it does get along just fine on the city streets and highways.

IMG_5204.jpg

I have a Suziki DL-1000, and I love it.
With 2 up and 3 full bags it goes like a bat out of hell.
I have the "Power Commander" programmable mod and custom tuned the injection system and ignitionView attachment 53193 .
I also have custom built lowers, and progressive springs all around to help get the increased horsepower to the road.

A friend had one of those and loved it. Rode it from Anchorage to Dead Horse and back (and all around Alaska). He loved it. Stopped riding street bikes because of all the people distracted in cars.

View attachment 53194 I picked up a VTX 1800 with 15000 miles for $3500 last July. So much bike for the money! Love it!
Came with lots of great accessories; Cobra pipes, power comander, Hondaline bags and windshield, Mustang seats and sissy bar. Removed a bunch of fluff for the solo look!

Mine was an 02. It was used with extras. Only thing I added was a Mustang seat which was great. Had to sell when the wife went back to school. It was a great bike.

Back