[N/A] Absolutely Nothing Aviation-related

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Loose interpretation of the term "Wheelhouse?"

For those of you familiar with "Christina's World," "Alvaro's Hayrack," "Geraniums," "Wind From the Sea," and other paintings by the late Andrew Wyeth, they were done at the scene of this photo I took on May 29. It's a couple miles south of where I grew up.

"Christina's World"(1949) showed Christina on the northeast side of the Olson House. This photo was taken from the southwest angle. The dormer window in the left position is that through which one sees the in-blowing curtains in the painting "Wind From the Sea." The tractor is owned by John Olson, oldest surviving nephew of both Christina and her brother Alvaro. It was great to be back "home" for the day. I didn't get to see John -- grew up with my father -- but did see his son Sammy -- about six years younger than I -- whom I hadn't seen for probably 30 years. When former wife and I were visiting the Hathorn-Olson family cemetery -- over 200 years old -- a lady came out of the Olson House(owned by the Farnsworth Museum) and asked, "Are you a member of the family?" I responded, "I should be; I spent enough time here when I was a kid. And I think you asked us the same question when we were here last year." All was fine; and so are the memories.

HR

Attachments

• Hathorn Point Wheel(Olson)House.jpg
    Hathorn Point Wheel(Olson)House.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Back