[N][A] A helpful app

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I stumbled across this somehow and I like it.
Blind people use their phones to snap a video or photo of something in their envieonment and you tell them what it is.

It is interesting. I have been using it for a couple days and helped in the following ways
Described contents of a family photo.
Let a woman know what color some shirts were that she was buying.
Verified nutrition facts on a food label.
Read a captcha to someone working on a computer.
Let a woman know how many miles / minutes her treadmill was displaying.

The app for iPhone is: Be My Eyes
The App for Andrpoid is : Be Specular

http://www.bespecular.com/

http://www.bemyeyes.org/#

Check it out.
It is a pretty positive interruption in your day to look over and help someone in need in just a few seconds.

That is freakin' fascinating.

I think this is awesome, BUT - I'm a jaded person due to the fact that so many people can be *******s. What's to stop some jerk from telling someone the wrong thing just because they think it's funny?

Otherwise, I love it.

the blind person gets to rate you. And flag you as a prick if you are a prick

So they rate w/ a number and star or something. I don't fully understand the ratings but here is what I see:

Screenshot_20170201-170703.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170201-170703.png
    Screenshot_20170201-170703.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 15
You're just the man to keep watch in case one of them snaps a photo of a chute handle! :)

Damn, You never realize how good you have it, Me Mrs 6pc, and Cajun and my sister went through probably 20 photos trying to help a woman determine if her yogurt was expired.

We were all on the app at the same time trying to figure out how to tell her it was on the rim where the foil meets the cup top.
Easily an hour. She cent photo after photo of her yogurt oriented in many different ways but never such that the date was visible in a photo.

I have nothing real to ever complain about.

Damn, You never realize how good you have it, Me Mrs 6pc, and Cajun and my sister went through probably 20 photos trying to help a woman determine if her yogurt was expired.

We were all on the app at the same time trying to figure out how to tell her it was on the rim where the foil meets the cup top.
Easily an hour. She cent photo after photo of her yogurt oriented in many different ways but never such that the date was visible in a photo.

I was also on that one! I told her to hold it with the foil flap on the left and take a pic of the top under the lid. Did she figure it out?

Right now I am helping a guy install Office on his laptop using a stupid long CD key for over the phone activation. Told him people could steal his key that way but hes out of options.l

I was also on that one! I told her to hold it with the foil flap on the left and take a pic of the top under the lid. Did she figure it out?

Right now I am helping a guy install Office on his laptop using a stupid long CD key for over the phone activation. Told him people could steal his key that way but hes out of options.l

I guess she figured it out she stopped posting.
Its a ****ty pun and unintentional, but this has been an eye opening experience

I guess she figured it out she stopped posting.
Its a ****ty pun and unintentional, but this has been an eye opening experience

Does the App maker vet the users? I only ask because I'm sitting here thinking sarcastically that if they don't, you may have been being trolled. LOL.

I am curious how often you get the requests. I have had it on my phone for about a year now, but have only gotten 3 requests for help, and I have completed their videos, etc.

I haven't seen the yogurt lady tonight. Actually I was checking it while I was making dinner (1.5 hours) and didn't get a single request. Been refreshing the app too.

Also if you didn't know, you can get your finger right between the smiley face's eyes and get a X_X face!

I am curious how often you get the requests. I have had it on my phone for about a year now, but have only gotten 3 requests for help, and I have completed their videos, etc.

I have to actually open the app to see a request. I wish it just sent a notification to my phone instead.

On mine, at least when I got requests in the past, it had its own ring tone, but I would have to be quick to answer it or it would pass me up and presumably go to someone else.

I think this is a great way to help someone in need. We often forget how good we have it.

I tried to install it, but no Android app yet it said. :(

This is pretty awesome. Installing now

Just an update, the Be My Eyes app got released for Android phones today!

Currently 40k blind/visually impaired to 550,000 helpers.

Back