Mystery Present

twdeckard

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
twdeckard
I hope everyone had a blessed day.

We celebrated a typical Christmas and enjoyed a small suprise. There was a mystery gift that had arrived a week or so ago. A small package and neither my wife or I could place the return address.

We were quite intrigued to open it after tearing thru our respective gifts: It contained a silk scarf from Persia for my wife (she is Lebanese), a small stone coaster from Scotland for me, a pouch from Mexico, a small mirror from China and some other small sundries for my daughter. It was delightful.

The enclosed picture and note explained it immediately.

This summer while on Vacation on Washington Island, there was a nice woman parked watching the airport and while I was preflighting she asked my wife if there was any harm in taking pictures of the airplane. I was ferrying the church Pastor back home. My wife managed to cajole her into introducing herself and ultimately joining us for the short hop to Ephraim and back. She was a delightful passenger.

When your co-pilot is a Roman Catholic Priest the subject of religion is going to come up and she explained that she had to declare being a Muslim to get an Iranian visa to travel with her husband but that her particular disposition was complicated. We enjoyed a scenic lap around the islands and an amazing conversation. Although she professed to not being an adventurer I think her breadth of experiences that came across the headphones on a short trip would suggest otherwise.

We flew back, exchanged addresses and I chalked it up as an enjoyable ride.

The note from she and her husband was dear, and poignant to me that she counted our 30 minute flight as one of her interesting life experiences.

I take a lot of things for granted, perhaps including the flying ....

Have a Happy New Year POA folks!

Wow, that's pretty neat. One small step for multinational relations. If only the politicians would step out of the picture.....

Wow, that's pretty neat. One small step for multinational relations. If only the politicians would step out of the picture.....

No kidding. My father is a professor (now emeritus) and he has mentored many foreign graduate students, and taught many short courses in developing countries (as a dairy science professor, his knowledge can be very important to them).

One of our most long-standing traditions was to invite all of his students, from whichever part of the planet they may be from, to Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Most of the American students would go home for that holiday, but the foreign students, of course, didn't consider it a holiday so they didn't go home. Many through the years have visited our house both on Thanksgiving and other times of the year. They came from places like The Netherlands and Sweden as well as Egypt, Iraq, Brazil, literally all over the world.

I honestly never had a bad experience with any of them. Each individual, regardless of color, language, religion, and the rest were delightful, hard-working people who had many of the same types of hopes and dreams that we do. More recently, his department hired an Arab Israeli professor - Now there's a tough combo! Very friendly people, and I gave their sons an airplane ride on Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.

Politicians and the media both need to lay off a bit. People are people, folks. Can't we all just get along?

Great story, Todd. :yes:

Back