Mystery C182 Terrorizes Quincy Mass

Likely carrying a stingray or similar cellphone interception device. I hope no one in the area made any private phone calls.

The pod on the side of the plane looks remarkably like the camera on a DEA 210 I used to work on.

Bingo....got a DEA plane in our hangar getting avionics work done as we speak. Been in and out over the last few years and looks exactly like that. IR camera looking for hot houses.

I suspected as much….

A few months ago, there was a similar report of light high wing aircraft circling a Sacramento neighborhood for weeks. All kinds of tinfoil hat speculation about some three letter agency doing secret experiments. It ended up being a conventional surveillance operation targeted at an individual.

One would think these would be both easily spotted and easily avoided, but I guess it ain't so.

Didn't they have something like this in California this past winter and some college kids figured it out?

I think it is safe to assume the government is making baseline sensor passes over major urban areas. While it may be disconcerting to some, I think it is a prudent move given that I am convinced radiological attacks will be made against us at some point. It is just the nature of the government agencies involved to try to keep this secret, although I can see no logical reason to do so.
I once asked in a DHS task group meeting why this type of action as kept secret, (we were discussing port security) and was told "because it is security". I asked why it wouldn't be good to let the public know we were doing our job, and got blank stares. :dunno:

Need to know...

I think it is safe to assume the government is making baseline sensor passes over major urban areas. While it may be disconcerting to some, I think it is a prudent move given that I am convinced radiological attacks will be made against us at some point. It is just the nature of the government agencies involved to try to keep this secret, although I can see no logical reason to do so.
I once asked in a DHS task group meeting why this type of action as kept secret, (we were discussing port security) and was told "because it is security". I asked why it wouldn't be good to let the public know we were doing our job, and got blank stares. :dunno:

Anybody with a prostate seed can tell you where all the secret sensors are.:lol:

FBI and DEA have sold a number of 182RGs with 10,000+ hrs on them. Most of those hours were flown in lazy circles with a scope pointed at someones house. This is hardly new.

FBI and DEA have sold a number of 182RGs with 10,000+ hrs on them. Most of those hours were flown in lazy circles with a scope pointed at someones house. This is hardly new.

Not only is it not new but it is not just the feds. I flew for a local agency that owned a 182. We used eye-dar with gyro stabilized binoculars because all that gee whiz equipment was out of our budget. Still very effective at getting the job done. Allowed us to make cases that otherwise would have been impossible with ground based surveillance.

Interesting. I just figured it was Google's new pilotless airplane running trials.

Back