Mystery Aircraft Quiz #5

Pilawt said:
Here's a blast from the past, 1966. I don't really know why this attractive 4-seater never made it to production.

What is it?

That's interesting, looks like the Navions sissy little brother.

Greg Bockelman said:
You sure there are 4 seats in that thing?:rofl:
Yup. It was intended to be a four-seat companion to the two-seater which was then the company's only product. If you look closely at the four-seater, parts of it bear a slight family resemblance to the two-seater. The two-seater had been built by other companies both before and after this particular small Kansas company.

-- Pilawt

OK, it looks like a 4 seat Ercoupe or similar. I have no idea what it would have been called.

Greg Bockelman said:
OK, it looks like a 4 seat Ercoupe or similar. I have no idea what it would have been called.
Ercoupe ... or Aircoupe as this manufacturer spelled it ... is the two-seater to which this is related. The small Kansas company was formed by two former Beech executives around 1964 to produce the Aircoupe. They sold out to Mooney in 1967. Mooney built Aircoupes for a short time (as Mooney Cadet), but this 4-seat prototype was never produced.

I'll post the answer if nobody gets the name of this airplane in the next hour.

-- Pilawt

Aircoupe Alon A4

Last edited:
Pilawt said:
You got it, Ed. Alon called the Aircoupe the Model A-2. The four-seater was simply called A-4, or XA-4 in light of its experimental status.

-- Pilawt

Yeah, it also said so on the tail ;)

Back