Mystery Aircraft Quiz #34

That was Piper's Stinson conversion.

AdamZ said:
A Seaplane perhaps ASEL a cherokee on floats?
Yes. It was offered as an option. I've not seen any of these, and no wonder. Cherokees aren't particularly easy to get in and out of under the best of conditions. It's hard to imagine a solo pilot trying to dock a low-wing floatplane, with only a single door on the opposite side of the cabin.

-- Pilawt

I did find a pair of floats for sale (sail?) for a 180 a couple months back. Cost like $5k. I considered it briefly.

Consider the fellow in the photograph above. Assuming there is no one to assist him, is there any way possible he can get that airplane airborne without getting himself and his upholstery very wet? With a high-wing floatplane he could at least shove off and walk on the float to the cabin door, maybe getting wet up to his ankles.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Yes. It was offered as an option. I've not seen any of these, and no wonder. Cherokees aren't particularly easy to get in and out of under the best of conditions. It's hard to imagine a solo pilot trying to dock a low-wing floatplane, with only a single door on the opposite side of the cabin.

-- Pilawt
There's also an Apache float plane option.

I think I saw one of these when I was in AK a few years ago. We were driving around an area up around Wasilla. (Big Lake maybe?). Should have got a picture, but we were looking for something else at the time.

Back