Mystery Aircraft Quiz #3

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
This one looks easy, but look again. You all know its close relative, the current AOPA Sweepstakes airplane.

But what was this one called?? BTW, that's a 180-hp Lycoming in there with a fixed-pitch prop.

Last edited:
Pilawt said:
This one looks easy, but look again. You all know its close relative, the current AOPA Sweepstakes airplane.

But what was this one called?? BTW, that's a 180-hp Lycoming in there with a fixed-pitch prop.

I think I know, I'll let others respond as to not monopolize the thread. Ill check
after b'fast. Otherwise I'll end up staying up all night.

Everskyward said:
Commander 111?
Yes, but there is more to the name, both the manufacturer and the popular name.

The manufacturer's name then was slightly different from what we think of today, but it was a significant difference, and was reflected in the registration number on this airplane (which would have made it obvious, so I blanked it out of the photo).

-- Pilawt

Rockwell General Aviation Division [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]developed the 111[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

cherokeeflyboy said:
Rockwell General Aviation Division developed the 111
Still missing an important, and historic, part of the company name, as it was used at that time. Hint: there's a connection to Henning's "Mo Trivia" thread yesterday.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Hint: there's a connection to Henning's "Mo Trivia" thread yesterday.
It's a North American Rockwell Commander 111?

Either that or it's a Mustang or a Piper Cub. :dunno:

Everskyward said:
It's a North American Rockwell Commander 111?

Okay, close enough. They were still using the "Aero Commander" brand, so the full name was North American Rockwell Aero Commander 111. The registration number on this prototype was N111NR.

The fixed-gear 111 first flew about nine months after the retractable 112 (which originally had the same 180-hp Lycoming); and there were plans for a twin version a year or so later.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Okay, close enough. They were still using the "Aero Commander" brand, so the full name was North American Rockwell Aero Commander 111.
I should have guessed that since I have spent some time as a passenger (survey camera operator) in twin piston Aero Commanders. The company had a 500 and a 680 if I remember correctly, but that was a long time ago.

Back