Mystery Aircraft Quiz #28

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Does anyone remember this nifty little twin? It's not easy to see in the photo, but the power plants are installed as pushers. The airplane was offered with either 125-hp or 145-hp engines. Years later this design was to have been the basis of a radical STOL aircraft.

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Steve said:
That is a picture of a B-290 Baumann Brigadier.

The last version of the Custer Channel Wing prototypes used a Baumann Brigadier B-250 fuselage.

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/bythefire/Airprog_pics.html
Right on target. Thanks for that link, that's great info.

IIRC Piper got involved in the Brigadier for a short time, as well. I think they bought a couple of airframes to study, but nothing came of it.

-- Pilawt

Yep, aerofiles has a comment that Piper decided the idea was too radical, but they copied the nose for the Apache.

Steal from the best, they say.

I saw an airframe at the Wedell-Williams Museum in Patterson, LA a few years ago that had been damaged by a tornado. It was a pusher design that looked similiar to the Baumann, but it had 4 engines as I recall. It was developed by some ex-military turned airline pilots in the 50's according to the docent. Apparently they were bomber pilots... :)

Any idea what that the name of that one might have been? I don't recall what it was and I can't find any reference to it on the net.

Pilawt said:
Right on target. Thanks for that link, that's great info.

IIRC Piper got involved in the Brigadier for a short time, as well. I think they bought a couple of airframes to study, but nothing came of it.

-- Pilawt

Steve said:
I saw an airframe at the Wedell-Williams Museum in Patterson, LA a few years ago that had been damaged by a tornado. It was a pusher design that looked similiar to the Baumann, but it had 4 engines as I recall. [...]

Any idea what that the name of that one might have been? I don't recall what it was and I can't find any reference to it on the net.
Doesn't ring a bell, but if I find something I'll let you know.

Four pusher engines? Put two more on, a couple of small turbojets under each wingtip, smoke a big cigar and pretend you're Curt LeMay in a B-36! :D

-- Pilawt

It looks like some kind of Stinson. :)

Pilawt said:
Does anyone remember this nifty little twin? It's not easy to see in the photo, but the power plants are installed as pushers. The airplane was offered with either 125-hp or 145-hp engines. Years later this design was to have been the basis of a radical STOL aircraft.

-- Pilawt

I could see that one maybe evolving into that ~10 seat, sleek, twin pusher used a lot for missionary work, I think it has Angel in the name.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I could see that one maybe evolving into that ~10 seat, sleek, twin pusher used a lot for missionary work, I think it has Angel in the name.
Are you thinking of the Piaggio P.166? The only thing with "Angel" in the name that I can think of is the Evangel 4500, but that's a boxy, low-wing, tractor twin.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Are you thinking of the Piaggio P.166? The only thing with "Angel" in the name that I can think of is the Evangel 4500, but that's a boxy, low-wing, tractor twin.

-- Pilawt

Yep the P-166 looks like what those missionaries were using. "Angel" was probably in their orgs name or something.

BTW: I've heard that engine heat from side by side twin pushers doesn't help much with prop ice 'cause the forward intakes ice up and restrict air flow.
Anybody know ?

Last edited:
There is an Angel 44 built by Angel Aircraft.

http://www.angelaircraft.com/

Check out the video on flying in Columbia.

Its been appearing at Sun n Fun for several years and was at Airventure last year parked in the North 40.

Pilawt said:

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Steve said:
There is an Angel 44 built by Angel Aircraft.

http://www.angelaircraft.com/

Check out the video on flying in Columbia.

Its been appearing at Sun n Fun for several years and was at Airventure last year parked in the North 40.

Yes, thank you, the Angel 44 is the one I had seen in an ad about 10 years ago, not the Piaggio.

Back