Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
1. What is a "Reims Rocket"?

2. What is an Embraer EMB-712 Tupi?

3. What is a PA-28R-300? (No typo, I said 300. This is a production model that has been delivered to customers.)

4. What is a Cessna "Skyhawk Powermatic"?

Pilawt said:

Wasn't that an early Skyhawk varient, maybe one with the 175 powertrain (O-300 w/constant speed prop)?

Then again, I'm way to green to be playing this game...

Pilawt said:
1. What is a "Reims Rocket"?

2. What is an Embraer EMB-712 Tupi?

3. What is a PA-28R-300? (No typo, I said 300. This is a production model that has been delivered to customers.)

1. A French-built 172 with big (IIRC 195hp) engine & CS prop.

2. Brazilian-built Piper, but I cannot tell you more without looking it up, and Nick won't let me get away with that! ( ;-) )

3. Well, it reads like its a 300 hp Arrow with the old wings, which sounds like a good idea, but I never knew it existed, so dish it.

4. Renamed C175, last year or two of production, w/ GO300 geared 175hp engine.

SCCutler said:
1. A French-built 172 with big (IIRC 195hp) engine & CS prop.
It was built by Cessna's French affiliate, Reims Aviation, and introduced to the European market in 1968. Its model number was FR172 (link to photo). It had a Rolls-Royce/Continental IO-360 rated at 210 hp, essentially the same engine as in each end of a Skymaster. None are registered in the US. In 1977, Cessna filled the niche about to be left by the Cardinal with a US version of the Rocket, called R172K "Hawk XP" (link to photo). Probably for noise reasons the US version's engine was de-rated to 195 hp.

2. Brazilian-built Piper, but I cannot tell you more without looking it up, and Nick won't let me get away with that! ( ;-) )
Embraer has built several Piper models with very little change from the US counterparts. The Tupi is an Archer II. About the only difference I can see in photos is that the Brazilian versions kept the old-style (pre-1978) landing gear strut and wheel fairings well into the 1980's (link to photo - note logo on tail).

3. Well, it reads like its a 300 hp Arrow with the old wings, which sounds like a good idea, but I never knew it existed, so dish it.
Very logical, but this model is a little different. Anybody else take a guess?

Hint: It has a 300-hp Lycoming, retractable gear, semi-tapered wings (contrary to the usual convention of adding a '1' to the model number for taper-wing models) ... and two seats.

4. Renamed C175, last year or two of production, w/ GO300 geared 175hp engine.
Yep. C-175/Skylark was canceled after the 1962 model year. 1963 was the first year of the 172's redesigned fuselage with rear-facing windows. For 1963 only, Cessna offered the C-175 engine and c/s prop in the 172 line, calling it the model P172D "172 Powermatic," and the deluxe version "Skyhawk Powermatic." About 65 of them were built (link to photo).

Last edited:
Hokay. I'm feeling pretty cocky here, but am stumped by that Piper.

Since you said two seats, I'll speculate (and that is all it is) that it was a plane built for sale to air forces / governments for training purposes, sort of a T-34-equivalent.

Of course, thinking about it still makes me wish someone would just hang a 550 (or at least a 470) on the front of an Arrow and see what she'll do.

Or has someone already done that?

===

Thanks for these quizzes, they're great fun!

SCCutler said:
Since you said two seats, I'll speculate (and that is all it is) that it was a plane built for sale to air forces / governments for training purposes, sort of a T-34-equivalent.

Good call. More than a T-34-equivalent, it is a joint venture between Piper and Enaer of Chile, intended as a T-34 replacement! It is called the Pillan, and is in use by several Latin American air forces, plus Spain. Landing gear, aft fuselage and tail are from the Saratoga; wings are from the Dakota, but with shortened outer panels. The two seats are in tandem, with a bubble canopy. Photos here and here.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Embraer has built several Piper models with very little change from the US counterparts. The Tupi is an Archer II. About the only difference I can see in photos is that the Brazilian versions kept the old-style (pre-1978) landing gear strut and wheel fairings well into the 1980's (link to photo - note logo on tail).

One other difference - It must have been a VERY quite plane, considering neither guy in the photo is wearing a headset, and they appear to be involved in some sort of humorous conversation......

Back