Mystery Aircraft Quiz #2

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
This one's a little harder. This was a protoype first flown in 1971. Its performance was disappointing and it was abandoned, but the company went on with a different, ultimately successful series of airplanes.

Is it American Aviation AA-1A Yankee Trainer

Pilawt said:
Nope. The Yankee was a two-seater and had a sliding canopy. This is a four-seater.

-- Pilawt

How about the AA-2
after scraping it American developed a streched version of the AA-1 produced as AA-5 traveler and later developed into the aa-a5a cheetah and aa-5b tiger

cherokeeflyboy said:
How about the AA-2
after scraping it American developed a streched version of the AA-1 produced as AA-5 traveler and later developed into the aa-a5a cheetah and aa-5b tiger
Bingo. The AA-2 was called the Patriot. Good riddance; it was ugly as sin. The AA-1 and AA-5 series are nice-looking airplanes. Attached is a 1972 photo of the first AA-5 prototype, showing clearly its Yankee lineage.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Bingo. The AA-2 was called the Patriot. Good riddance; it was ugly as sin. The AA-1 and AA-5 series are nice-looking airplanes. Attached is a 1972 photo of the first AA-5 prototype, showing clearly its Yankee lineage.

-- Pilawt

Speaking of the Yankee and trivia, I took a man mountain flying in the Cascades in '96 that claimed to be the Yankee's primary designer...

Henning said:
Did you get paid?

Logical question.
Actually, it was my treat (by advance choice) as we were discussing my potential purchase of his BD 12 & 14 designs and factory assisted customer construction jigs in the dealer facilities. It remains a progressive concept for what would be great sellers at the then $25K to $65K for fast and sexy, 2 & 4 seat pusher low wings if one could count on enough new and present pilots to buy aircraft components and go through the FAA approved 3 week (by 51% rule) construction and flight training at the dealer facility.

In spite of these model's low cost and high aircraft performance, the ~ $350K required for a dealer's initial jigs and heated building area investment is sufficiently high that there are not now, nor will there ever be, enough pilots to significantly offset that investment towards true profit even if marketed in shopping malls instead of airports as Bede suggested.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Logical question.
Actually, it was my treat (by advance choice) as we were discussing my potential purchase of his BD 12 & 14 designs and factory assisted customer construction jigs in the dealer facilities. It remains a progressive concept for what would be great sellers at the then $25K to $65K for fast and sexy, 2 & 4 seat pusher low wings if one could count on enough new and present pilots to buy aircraft components and go through the FAA approved 3 week (by 51% rule) construction and flight training at the dealer facility.

I think our own Ron Levy got skunked by Bede on a purchase, along with a lot of other people. Meaning he didn't get his money back after the project fell through.

Anthony said:
I think our own Ron Levy got skunked by Bede on a purchase, along with a lot of other people. Meaning he didn't get his money back after the project fell through.

I read about some big financial problems with his project about a year after I declined to invest although it was very tempting to put a deposit down I must admit. I think any company worth their salt would be willing to put aircraft deposits into interest bearing escrow accounts or some other security until delivery.

Dave,

Was there some technical difficulty with the design of those Bede pushers??? Something in the back of my brain is saying it was in regards to the drive shafts???

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Dave,

Was there some technical difficulty with the design of those Bede pushers??? Something in the back of my brain is saying it was in regards to the drive shafts???

Len

Not that I was or am aware of.
I remember from my other investment research into a helicopter company that generically speaking, propellar drive shafts (ie; to tail rotor) need a retaining bearing for vibrational dampening about a minimum of every 18" along the drive shaft.

I have PIX of the BD12 flying in ground effect but it was soon landed hard or overshot RWY or something with subsiquent damage just prior to the whole project going Tango Uniform.

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
I read about some big financial problems with his project about a year after I declined to invest although it was very tempting to put a deposit down I must admit. I think any company worth their salt would be willing to put aircraft deposits into interest bearing escrow accounts or some other security until delivery.

Worth their salt is the operative phrase here. The others spend it rather than leveraging it. After you screw a couple banks, your ability for conventional finance goes away.

Back