Mystery Aircraft Quiz #19

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
This was a prototype of a twin-engine, STOL aircraft that first flew in 1961. Two 145-hp Continental engines were geared to the single, shrouded propeller. Other unusual features included boundary layer control. Over 160,000 tiny holes were drilled in the wing. Boundary layer air was pulled through these holes and then expelled through thrust augmentors.

Any ideas?

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
That sure looks like something they would do at the Raspet Aeronautical Lab at Miss. State (pusher ducted prop, boundary layer control, etc.), but I can't find any cross-reference to the plane depicted.

Steve said:
That sure looks like something they would do at the Raspet Aeronautical Lab at Miss. State (pusher ducted prop, boundary layer control, etc.), but I can't find any cross-reference to the plane depicted.
Miss. State did the initial design study of the BLC system under contract to the airplane's designer (someone who in the recent past has been called an "aviation icon").

I shoulda known, looking at the front end of that plane, and the previous threads.

Bede BD-2

Steve said:
I shoulda known, looking at the front end of that plane, and the previous threads.

Bede BD-2
There's that man Bede again! I was going with a "theme" for the last three, but I promise, that's the last of Bede in this series.

[edit: Steve, you beat me to that article!!]

Interesting to note, the XBD-2 pioneered the aluminum honeycomb structure, and the fiberglass main gear legs, that carry through to today's Tiger.

-- Pilawt

Having attended Miss. State I was familiar with their BLC studies, and I have a future son-in-law that gets to play in the aero lab that Honda donated after they were through designing their jet. The big interest now is UAVs, and MS State is participating in a competition for the fastest & smallest UAV around a closed course. (All the parts have to fit inside a specified box size). Similar to the robot design competition at MIT.

Pilawt said:
Miss. State did the initial design study of the BLC system under contract to the airplane's designer (someone who in the recent past has been called an "aviation icon").

Pilawt said:
This was a prototype of a twin-engine, STOL aircraft that first flew in 1961. Two 145-hp Continental engines were geared to the single, shrouded propeller. Other unusual features included boundary layer control. Over 160,000 tiny holes were drilled in the wing. Boundary layer air was pulled through these holes and then expelled through thrust augmentors.

Any ideas?

-- Pilawt

Was this one before or after the otherwise ultra sleek looking BAT twin engine design by the military that proved the tiny boundary layer holes & entire system too prone to clogging (duh) and other maintenance issues ?

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
Was this one before or after the otherwise ultra sleek looking BAT twin engine design by the military that proved the tiny boundary layer holes & entire system too prone to clogging (duh) and other maintenance issues ?
Are you thinking of the X-21A, which was a highly-modified Douglas B-66 twin jet with slots on the upper wing surface for intake of boundary layer air? That was 1963-65. According to X-Planes and Prototypes by Jim Winchester,
"Laminar flow could not be achieved on every flight and was affected by turbulence, precipitation, dust, dirt, humidity and flying through cloud."
Not much promise in that.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Are you thinking of the X-21A, which was a highly-modified Douglas B-66 twin jet with slots on the upper wing surface for intake of boundary layer air? That was 1963-65. According to X-Planes and Prototypes by Jim Winchester,
"Laminar flow could not be achieved on every flight and was affected by turbulence, precipitation, dust, dirt, humidity and flying through cloud."

Not much promise in that.

-- Pilawt

Could be, but I can't even remember if the cool looking BAT was jet or pistons so will review all my Wings tapes until footage is found !

Back