Mystery Aircraft Quiz #15

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
This prototype was to have been an improved version of a successful line of lightplanes. What is this airplane, and why did its development, and production of its related models, all end so suddenly?

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
This prototype was to have been an improved version of a successful line of lightplanes. What is this airplane, and why did its development, and production of its related models, all end so suddenly?

-- Pilawt

Looks like a swept tail T Bone. Got me:dunno: I kinda like it though.

Piper PA-40 Arapaho

Don't know why it didn't go into production. Probably a victim of one of the Piper bankruptcies.

Or the Seneca was cheaper to build...

...victim of the flood that ended all Lock Haven production.

Is that plane derivative of the Twin Comanche (bigger)?

SCCutler said:
...victim of the flood that ended all Lock Haven production.

Is that plane derivative of the Twin Comanche (bigger)?

Looks like it huh? That's why it reminded me of the T-Bone, it has that "Steroidal" look. Too bad, they could have been cool. I'm surprised they don't revive it as a turbo prop or a jet. Be a nice niche.

Steve said:
Piper PA-40 Arapaho

Don't know why it didn't go into production. Probably a victim of one of the Piper bankruptcies.

Or the Seneca was cheaper to build...
Right on. The Arapaho was a worthy attempt to address issues some pilots had with the PA-30/39 Twin Comanche series. It had longer main gear legs with hydraulic actuation; larger windows, and a ventral fin and larger dorsal for better engine-out handling. I don't know how its handling would have compared with the classic Twin Comanche, but it sure didn't hold a candle to the T.C. in looks (see photo).

The Comanche and Twin Comanche lines, built at Lock Haven, PA, were more expensive to build than the cookie-cutter Cherokees in Florida, so their days were probably numbered anyway. But in June 1972 Hurricane Agnes flooded the Lock Haven plant, washing away the Comanche production line forever. Piper still thought about a 1975 introduction for Arapaho, but with the new Seneca already on the market and plans underway for what ultimately became Seminole, the Arapaho program was canceled.

-- Pilawt

Back