Mystery Aircraft Quiz #14

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Time for an easy one. This one's for Mooney fans. What feature sets the M20D apart from other M20 models? It's a common feature in the industry, but there's something unique about it in the M20D. What is it? Oh, and what was the M20D's name?

-- Pilawt

it had a 200 hp lycoming. and weighed too much for the extra 20 hp.

edit..called master.

Last edited:
Damn Michael. Beat me to the draw. Google is cool for this.

Mooney M-20-D Master.

Pilawt said:
"Master" is correct, but it had the same 180-hp Lycoming as the M20C. That's not what I'm looking for.
your right, I was thinking of the E.

maybe the fact there were only 8 built?
that cant be right.

Michael said:
fixed gear
Yes. Interesting comparison between the M20C retractable and M20D fixed gear -- same engine, same gross weight, same airframe. Mooney specs claimed the Master was almost 40 mph slower, 5,000' lower service ceiling, and 50 lb lighter empty weight.

But there was something else about the fixed gear on the M20D ...

Pilawt said:
Yes. Interesting comparison between the M20C retractable and M20D fixed gear -- same engine, same gross weight, same airframe. Mooney specs claimed the Master was almost 40 mph slower, 5,000' lower service ceiling, and 50 lb lighter empty weight.

But there was something else about the fixed gear on the M20D ...

Indeed there was; it could easily be converted to retractable, at a later date, should the owner choose. And I believe that there are no unconverted D's left.

Izzat what you're looking for?

SCCutler said:
Indeed there was; it could easily be converted to retractable, at a later date, should the owner choose. And I believe that there are no unconverted D's left.

Izzat what you're looking for?
Exactly! The plan was, a student pilot could buy a fixed-gear Master, learn to fly in it, then when he's ready to step up he takes it into the shop. Three days and $3,000 later (in 1964 money) he has a retractable, almost indistinguishable from the M20C*.

163 Masters were built during 1963-66, 126 are still on the FAA register. The vast majority are now retractables; there may be a few fixed-gears left. I found a recent photo of one. [edit: I just noticed something else in this photo -- a fixed-pitch prop!]

*M20C in those years had a dorsal fin; M20D did not. M20C lost the dorsal fin from 1968 on.

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Pilawt said:
Time for an easy one. This one's for Mooney fans. What feature sets the M20D apart from other M20 models? It's a common feature in the industry, but there's something unique about it in the M20D. What is it? Oh, and what was the M20D's name?

-- Pilawt
fixed gear

I've never really been a fan of Mooney's for some reason, but that's not a bad lookin' little plane. :)

Back