Mystery Aircraft Quiz #10

Pilawt said:
This 1962 prototype was a major manufacturer's attempt to build a plastic airplane. What was it?

That's gotta be NA... what, the Naviette?

Pilawt said:
No ... the shape of the cowl and horizontal tail might be a clue to the manufacturer.

-- Pilawt

Well the cowl screams Piper, but I'd never known them to use a sliding canopy.

Henning said:
Well the cowl screams Piper, but I'd never known them to use a sliding canopy.
The screams are accurate. Piper never used plastic ([SIZE=-1]phenolic honeycomb core covered with fiberglass[/SIZE]), either, but they built this one. Anyone know the model number/name? In keeping with Piper's other model names, the name of this little one is appropriate.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
The screams are accurate. Piper never used plastic ([SIZE=-1]phenolic honeycomb core covered with fiberglass[/SIZE]), either, but they built this one. Anyone know the model number/name? In keeping with Piper's other model names, the name of this little one is appropriate.

-- Pilawt

This one was called the Solar Wind.
An early attempt at solar powered flight, it failed dismally due to the small size of the collector grid , visible on the wing.

Dave Krall CFII said:
This one was called the Solar Wind.
An early attempt at solar powered flight, it failed dismally due to the small size of the collector grid , visible on the wing.
I dig the humor :D, but ironically enough the sun did have something to do with this the failure of this airplane. :yes:

Pilawt said:
I dig the humor :D, but ironically enough the sun did have something to do with this the failure of this airplane. :yes:

Is she a good witch, or a bad witch?

Pilawt said:

-- Pilawt

Ok, my WAG... Archer, Arrow...

Is it a Bow?

Missa

Pilawt said:

Let me guess UV caused bonding failure.

Len

Pilawt said:

-- Pilawt

Piper Papoose? Rolls off the tongue rather smoothly.

lancefisher said:
Piper Papoose? Rolls off the tongue rather smoothly.
Piper PA-29 Papoose, designed by Fred Weick. Didn't roll smoothly off the assembly line, however. The plastic construction didn't take well to either sunlight or humidity. Piper thought these issues could be solved, but concluded there wasn't enough saving of cost or weight to make it worthwhile.

Reminds me of a "Dilbert" cartoon a couple of years ago. A gate agent for "Dogbert's Airline" announces a flight is canceled due to weather. When an angry passenger points out it's a clear day, the agent replies, "Our planes can't take direct sunlight."

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Back