Myrtle Beach visit - hotel recommendations

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Planning on flying the family down to Myrtle Beach for a getaway at the end of October. Looking for reviews.

Airport recommendations - MYR or CRE?
Hotel recommendations (2 adults, one 4 year old) near the airport?

We fly into CRE and it's always been a good experience. They will rent you a Focus for $35.00 a day. They also bring it to your plane and when you leave you can drive out to the tie downs and unload your bags. Don't forget to get the gate code. We stay at Bay Watch which is a condo hotel. It's only a few minutes from the airport.

Our children are older and they don't come with us. When they were younger we stayed closer to Myrtle Beach. That was before I was flying.

We try to get down there once or twice each fall. It's about a 2.5 hr. flight for us and it makes a nice weekend away.

We flew into CRE, top notch service, nice new rental car. We stayed on the beach at the Avista:

http://www.avistaresort.com/

Nice place, fairly new, ok rates, on the beach, lots of pools. Only downer was to have to cross a busy road to get to the parking garage.

We flew into CRE, top notch service, nice new rental car. We stayed on the beach at the Avista:

http://www.avistaresort.com/

Nice place, fairly new, ok rates, on the beach, lots of pools. Only downer was to have to cross a busy road to get to the parking garage.

I'll 2nd the nod to Avista... it's pretty nice and a short drive to CRE

If you want to stay in Myrtle Beach as opposed to North MB, here are a couple other places we stayed that were nice:

http://www.beachcolony.com
http://www.compasscove.com/

I'll give another plug for Ramp 66 at CRE. Nice FBO, nice airport.

Jim G

Since no one else is for it I'll mention MYR. It also has a nice friedly FBO. Short term courtesy car, can drive right to the plane, arrange rental cars, etc.

They bus us from the plane to the building and back. I have a condo in MB and leave the car there.

If in North Myrtle Beach use CRE in Myrtle Beach use MYR.

Most of the large Beachfront hotels are very nice and pricing is competitive for properties with the same ammenities and room sizes, etc. Location along the beach does not seem to effect pricing. What are you planning on spending per night? Do you want a Hotel room, Condo hotel or what?

Are you there for the Beach, the amusement parks, outlet shopping, entertainment venues or golf?

Well, it will be the end of October, so I'm not sure how quiet the amusement parks will be. We definitely want to visit the beach, be able to swim indoors, and enjoy any open amusement parks. Golf/shopping not a big deal, restaurants are important.

We'd rent a car, but if it's possible to do without, that's even better.

Well, it will be the end of October, so I'm not sure how quiet the amusement parks will be. We definitely want to visit the beach, be able to swim indoors, and enjoy any open amusement parks. Golf/shopping not a big deal, restaurants are important.

I think the parks run until after Halloween at least Friday - Sunday. Temps should still be in the 70's with the water warmer than the air. Most large hotels have multiple in-door and out-door pools, hot tubs and a lazy river.

There are a few restaurants along the Beach but most are not. IMHO you definitily need a car.

If you're just stopping for gas, Ramp 66 will provide one of their rental cars (a new rental, not the usual "beater" crew car) free for the first hour to get lunch.

OK, we'll plan on CRE and getting a car, which makes pretty much any place acceptable since it's not that big an area. Definitely having parking in/at the hotel would be a plus, as opposed to having to cross a major road with a four year old and "stuff".

We want a nice place with one king and a second bed for the child - a sofabed at a minimum, a second bedroom would be even better. Rates at various places all look great at that time of year, running less than $70 per night on average for a two-bedroom suite.

So, with those things in mind, I'd still appreciate any other recommendations.

it seems like October and November are good times to go. Those are the same times we've been there and it's still warm enough to be outside on the beach and none of the places we went to were very crowded.

For places to eat, try to make it to the Texas Roadhouse Grill (http://www.texasroadhousegrill.com), it's not part of the chain, and it's very good.

Tim,

Mary and I will be heading to Williamsburg for a few days then off to Myrtle Beach for three days the end of the month. We are staying at the Dunes Village, ocean view great rate and not to far from CRE. I will be checking in with Ramp 66 as some of the others mentioned. The seem to get the best press on airnav and aopa airport directory.

I'll post a follow up when we return!

Last edited:
Tim,

Mary and I will be heading to Williamsburg for a few days then off to Myrtle Beach for three days the end of the month. We are staying at the Dunes Village, ocean view great rate and not to far from CRE. I will be checking in with Ramp 66 as some of the others mentioned. The seem to get the best press on airnav and aopa airport directory.

I'll post a follow up when we return!

Thanks, Gary, Dunes Village went to the top of my list, since it has an indoor waterpark that my daughter will just love. Looking forward to your PIREP.

And I realize now I never sent a PIREP...

We went with Dunes, and LOVED it. Right on the beach, indoor water park, balcony to look out at the ocean, and a very reasonable price.

My daughter got sick the day we arrived so she didn't get to spend as much time as she'd have liked, but she's always pestering to go back.

Service at Grand Strand airport was terrific, too.

I stayed at the Dunes Village last time I was there working; very nice suite, great beach and beachside patio/bar scene, and the indoor water park looks like fun. There's always tons of banner-tows going past... if you enjoy watching airplanes. :D

Speaking of which, there's a little park devoted to plane-spotting down at the SE corner of KMYR... benches and everything, and free parking.

Be sure to visit the Hard Rock theme park- lots of fun for all ages, and another good place to watch KMYR traffic...:D

Speaking of which, there's a little park devoted to plane-spotting down at the SE corner of KMYR... benches and everything, and free parking.

Be sure to visit the Hard Rock theme park- lots of fun for all ages, and another good place to watch KMYR traffic...:D

Huh, when I was down there in March (parents have a place in Surfside Beach) I didn't notice any park on the SE side, though looking at a map I see it now (just north of the golf course on 17). I did spend some time in Myrtle Beach State Park, which has great views of arriving traffic on 36. Now if only there were a little more variety, but I guess planewatching in NY has spoiled me. There was a C130 doing a practice approach and a few touch-and-gos, though.

Planning on flying the family down to Myrtle Beach for a getaway at the end of October. Looking for reviews.

Last year we stayed at a hotel called the "Baywatch" in South Myrtle Beach, right near the airport, and had a marvelous time. We had an ocean view, 18th floor suite for our family of four (2 adults/2 kids), and the cost was less than $100 a night -- a real bargain for a suite ANYWHERE.

I can highly recommend the Baywatch, and the entire Myrtle Beach area. My kids want to go back!

I just spent ten days at Murrell's Inlet (southern end of Myrtle Beach). I used KMYR as it was much closer for me than KCRE. Price for fuel and tiedown was about the same. The service was OK, the line guys were great and the desk people so-so, but no problems.

Can't help you where to stay as I was in a house.....on the beach....with a private pool.........:D

OK, we'll plan on CRE and getting a car, which makes pretty much any place acceptable since it's not that big an area. Definitely having parking in/at the hotel would be a plus, as opposed to having to cross a major road with a four year old and "stuff".

We want a nice place with one king and a second bed for the child - a sofabed at a minimum, a second bedroom would be even better. Rates at various places all look great at that time of year, running less than $70 per night on average for a two-bedroom suite.

So, with those things in mind, I'd still appreciate any other recommendations.

Mary, the kids, and I stayed at a place called "Baywatch" when we visited N. Myrtle Beach in 2006. We got a really nice, ocean-side, 16th floor suite for less than $100/night -- a real steal. Plenty of room for the family, with a living room and kitchen.

Temps should still be in the 70's with the water warmer than the air.

uhhh...as long as I'm not there it may be in the mid 70's...EVERYTIME we've gone the easternly/southern direction when high's are typically mid '70's...its been colder than usual like mid 40's with COLD wind. Was there first week in November and it was 40's with chilly winds & clouds all week...week before and week after...mid 70's and sunshine.

So, I'll be sure not to go that direction when you're in Myrtle beach...so you have a chance of having warm weather...:yesnod:.

Back